Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and we are about to end our week-long warm spell with a winter storm. :( But it IS January after all, I guess. Moe has spent most of this past week doing his yard-warrior thing... barking at all the passers-by, doing leisurely perimeter patrols, exploring the nearby woods (our invisible fence goes through wooded areas of the yard), and sunning himself in the driveway or on the porch. Today we washed the cars and then took the dogs over to Pardon Gray Preserve near our Town Farm. We wanderd the fields, explored an old cemetary, and followed a small stream through the fields. Moe found a bone :blink: and had a quick roll in some deer-poop he discovered (before we caught him and pulled him away :eek: ). There were many smells for him to smell and we couldn't take a step without stepping in goose-poop (thankfully Moe and Tally were not interested in that particular type of poop!) We were prepared for mud and wore apprpriate footwear which worked just as well for slogging through goose-poopy fields. :p Tally found rodent holes near a big Puddingstone and more near a swampy area. She is quite a rodent-hunter! We wore them out and came home to cookies (for Moe and Tally) and hot chocolate (for us). I'm sorry our warm spell is ending. :( The only good thing about Winter is that it makes me really appreciate Spring...

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sounds like a lovely day. :) Lucky they don't care about goose poop. That stuff is tenacious--it sticks like glue or bubblegum in hair. :p

G

·
I can feel your pain. :mellow: (Wis) U did get a lot more done & the dogs must have had a blast ! I washed clothes & and read a mystery.

·
Registered
773 Posts
We're sharing your storm here in Central MA. The really, really good thing is -- I have a snow day :lol: ! And tomorrow I'm taking a day off to run DH in to Mass. General, so I'm having an uplanned four day weekend. But we're getting slammed, and I'm really fed up with ice and snow.

The dogs all have their own take on things. Edith Ann went out, tended to business, and wanted to come right back inside. Charlie wandered around a bit longer, but doesn't like the cold or wet feet. Eloise, on the other hand, had a blast zooming through the snow, eating it, chasing flakes falling from the sky, and woo-wooing at the wind. When she finally came in, she was a little snow bunny, covered from nose to tail in the white stuff. Wish I could share her exuberance!!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who possibly can have anything positive to say about mud season :angry:[/b]
I don't much care for mud but it IS better than frozen ground. The things I like about Spring are: fat Pussywillows, blooming crocuses (sometimes blooming through the snow), flowering trees, greening grass, growing things peeking from my garden that I forgot I even planted, happy dogs soaking up the sun and smelling of the fresh outdoors when you snuggle with them, the earthy smell of turned ground, peepers and other frog-sounds, the first warm day you open a window, hearing bees buzzing or spotting the first butterfly, feeling ALIVE and happy again! So many things to look forward to in the Spring!!!! Mud is such a VERY small part of it... :) :) :) B)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ah...those balmy days in early January were a balm for my soul! 67 degrees in Boston in January?? Bring it on!
I noticed that when we first got all that snow on the ground in December Francis was super reluctant to walk through it but with this storm we had on Monday he's been bounding around in the stuff looking like he's having a grand old time. The only bad thing about the snow at the park is the occasional snow bank. Francis tends to plow right into them but it sure doesn't slow him down at all. He took off across the soccer field like a rocket yesterday and he seemed to be having a ball!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts