Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woohoo! i finally got toby's papers in the mail today to register him. now i know all these AKC hounds have fancy long names and i don't know what to put! his name is toby. his parents are Eli Henry Green and Heidi Hound. any suggestions? or do i just put toby? the form says choose a unique name. i'm open for suggestions!:D

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
there are current 20 basset hounds registered with the Name toby in AKC

HC128144Toby XXVIHC466824Toby XXXIVHM52227502TobyHB279246Toby XVHC434202Toby XXXIIIHC428327Toby XXXIIHC696945Toby XXXVIIHC118777Toby XXVIIHC053331Toby XXIIIHC394199Toby XXXIHC482065Toby XXXVHC564353Toby XXXVIHC201862Toby XXVIIIHM57279805TobyHC294388Toby XXXHM57887403TobyHC236482Toby XXIXHC116168Toby XXVHC103582Toby XXIVHP19751103Toby II

one simple way to handle it is to use your last name as if it were a kennel name

"You last name"'s Toby

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mikey! i decided to name him Tobias Snifferton Green, i dont know why his dad's name was green but it's toby's now too! i didn't want to put my last name in there because i'm getting married in a little less than a year so i won't even have the same last name anymore. toby's name is silly just like him i guess

·
Registered
73 Posts
woohoo! i finally got toby's papers in the mail today to register him. now i know all these AKC hounds have fancy long names and i don't know what to put! his name is toby.
My first basset was a rescue, and 20+ years ago I had the same question. This dog's name was Bruno and my first registration was rejected because "Bruno" was already taken. I ended up naming him "It's Only Bruno." So, maybe something like "Just Toby," "Plain 'Ol Toby" or "Toby Twinkletoes" OK, just kidding with that one.:p

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is "Revenge's Jaded Hazel" we have quite a crowd of outdoor coonhounds...
miss hazel of course is the princess of the house :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
woohoo! i finally got toby's papers in the mail today to register him. now i know all these AKC hounds have fancy long names and i don't know what to put! his name is toby. his parents are Eli Henry Green and Heidi Hound. any suggestions? or do i just put toby? the form says choose a unique name. i'm open for suggestions!:D
Our plans for registering our new pups,, Mercedes and Zatarra are to name them M&M's Countess Mondego and M&M's Count of Monte Cristo.

The names are from the movie The Count of Monte Cristo. Mercedes was the Countess Mondego, and Edmond Dontes used the name Zatarra before he became the Count of Monte Cristo.

My suggestions would be something like (your name)'s Texas Toby Ranger, or (your name)'s Sir Toby Belch (Olivia's uncle in Shakespeare's 12th night) or (your name)'s Lord Toby the Just or Lord Toby Basset (Toby is from the name Tobias which means God is good. And if someone is just they are good. And of course bassets are good)

But then again I could be over thinking all of this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i overthought the whole process! there was a place in the registration for markings, had no idea what to put. and then some color options were like black white and tan, white black and tan, tan black and white. i just chose the one going in order that he had the most of, i think i put black white and tan. i didnt realize it was such a difficult task

·
Registered
562 Posts
How much would it cost us to have our dog's pedigree analyzed via DNA? We don't know where Layla's parents are and we may not be able to contact Rosco's parent's owners, but if it isn't too expensive it might be neat to get them registered some day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
but if it isn't too expensive it might be neat to get them registered some day.
Unless the litter was register with the AKC the will not register an individual dog, Secondly if it after a year the process is quite extensive. If the purpose is registering the dog to participate in AKC performance events ILP/PAL which is a much easier process
There are various reasons why a purebred dog might not be eligible for registration. The dog may be the product of an unregistered litter, or have unregistered parents. The dog's papers may have been withheld by its breeder or lost by its owner. Sometimes, it is the dog itself that was "lost." There are many dogs enrolled in the PAL/ILP program after they have been surrendered or abandoned, then adopted by new owners from animal shelters or purebred rescue groups. The PAL/ILP program allows the dog and owner a second chance at discovering the rewards of participating in AKC events.
or even AKC Canine PartnersSM Program

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmmm.... sounds like it isn't worth the cost or trouble. I'm not going to compete - unless there is a hard-headedness competition they hold - and both our guys are fixed, so there really would be no other point than to have a piece of paper and a longer name.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
If you know either the Registered name of the sire or dam or the AKC registration number of either you can obtain a research pedigree on line from AKC for relative sort money so you could have the important part of the piece of paper the pedigree without registration.

I did this for a dog I pulled out of a local shelter for a rescue, They happened to have the AKC number, used on an Identification tags. I used the pedigree to try and identify the breeder because some breeder have owners sign a contract requiring the dog to be return to them if the owner is no longer able to care for it, I wanted to be sure this was not the case with this dog as well.

AKC Reports

1 - 14 of 14 Posts