Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the Bill Does:  
Creates various degrees of animal abuse and neglect and makes aggravated abuse and neglect felonies.

Compels 21 categories of professionals to report suspected abuse and neglect (doctors, nurses, school employees, members of the clergy, attorneys, marriage and family therapists, photographers, employees of news media, firefighters, and more).

Allows animal care agencies to petition for termination of guardianship.

If a guardian is deemed unfit, he cannot possess any animal for at least 3 years and must repay costs associated with the care of the animal.

Creates \"animal abuser\" registry and requires notification of neighbors.

Bans procedures that disable or remove any part or organ, making commonly accepted elective procedures such as ear cropping, tail docking, dewclaw removal, and debarking illegal.  Violators will be subject to fines and jail time.

Allows any guardian of an animal subjected to a violation to bring a civil lawsuit for actual and punitive damages of not less than $1000 per violation.

Requires motorists to immediately stop and render aid to any animal injured by the motorist, including all wild animals such as deer, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, and birds.

Makes individuals who cause the death of a person?s pet or companion animal intentionally or negligently liable for up to $10,000 in noneconomic damages if the death occurred on the owner or caretaker?s property or while under the control of the owner or caretaker.  Noneconomic damages shall include compensation for the loss of companionship, love, and affection of the pet.  
The full text can be found here.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Requires motorists to immediately stop and render aid to any animal injured by the motorist, including all wild animals such as deer, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, and birds.
If this Bill were passed it sounds like I'd have to stop my car in the middle of Rt. 95 and administer first aid to a potentially rabid racoon that I had the misfortune of running over.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same thought. I can also imagine the potential for abuse of the "animal abuse" registry. I posted this because there are many things in the bill that many of us would probably support, and then there are some things that seem to come from out of left field. :confused:

[ March 13, 2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hopefully this one doesn't pass, too much room for abuse and poorly written.

Trish Whipkey

[ March 14, 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: SassyDiva ]

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the threads page on the Politics Forum
You MUST disclose your full, true name to post in this forum. If your name is not obvious from your user name, please sign your posts.  
We know it's easy to forget or overlook this, so please sign or edit unsigned posts accordingly. Unsigned posts will be deleted. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
What about the tail docking and such? I know that in some breeds this is pretty much expected.
Plus I agree with everyone else about stopping to aid animals hit by car. Of course I would stop, but a rabid animal or even an extremely hurt animal could be dangerous!

[ March 14, 2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: lnrider ]

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about tail docking - I cannot picture a schnauzer with a long tail! I know most of the procedures like that being done for mainly for cosmetic reasons, even if some of them did had functional reasons at one time, and some still do - dewclaw removal for one, by surgically removing it young, it prevents them from being caught and torn in the field.

One thing that keeps coming to mind about the procedures that are mainly cosmetic, like ear cropping and/or tail docking. Look at the number of humans who have cosmetic surgery done! Dogs procedures haven't had the problems some human procedures have had.

Trish Whipkey

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update RI: Fancy Meets with Legislators

[Friday, March 21, 2003]

UPDATE (March 21, 2003) Rhode Island dog fanciers had a productive meeting with House Leader Gordon Fox this week regarding the 'animal protection' bill (HB5817) that contains many troublesome provisions. Fox, who is a sponsor of HB5817, listened to the concerns expressed by the fancy and appears committed to addressing their many concerns. He will take these concerns to the other sponsors and has assured    fanciers that he will give them an update in the next week or two.
[ March 25, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts