Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The American Kennel Club® is warning pet owners and breeders about an alarming rise in dog thefts in recent months. From parking lots to pet stores and even backyards, more dogs are disappearing. In the first three months of 2008, the AKC has tracked more than 30 thefts from news and customer reports, versus only ten for all twelve months of 2007.

Media reports have chronicled the escalation of these “dog-nappings” from all around the country. Incidents have included armed robbers entering a breeder’s home, tiny puppies being stuffed into purses at pet stores and most recently, purebred pets being snatched from cars in parking lots and even shelters.[/b]
Source

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Upon reading this I got freaked out and made my dogs come inside.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That is scary! I never let the dogs in the backyard unless I am out there with them because you just never know. You can never be too careful.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Just in the last three months I've had two friends have dogs stolen. The first, a neutered black great dane, was taken from my friend's yard, with her in the house (she never left him out alone for more than a few minutes). The second was an unspayed German shepherd. The owner of the GSD very quickly realized the dog was missing, as were the contractors working on the barn, so he called the boss and said if he didn't find his dog for them not to come back to the job. What a coincidence that the dog was found wandering the far side of a nearby farm within minutes of the call. The great dane was never found. Again, there were tons of housing contractors and day laborers working in the neighborhood. But why someone would steal a gigantic neutered dog is beyond me. Still, it's yet another reason to spay and neuter your pets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts