Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a rather strange question.

We are adopting a puppy who is AKC registered (or the litter is so we'll be registering him). I'm interested in field trials as well as obedience and agility trials (provided the pup is also interested in these as well ;) ). My question is, where does the AKC stand on neutering? I believe that to particpate in conformance the dog has to be intact but I can't find anything that says whether or not they have to be intact for field, obedience and agility. I plan on neutering the little guy since I have no intention of breeding him but will this prevent us from competeing (if he decides he wants to, of course).

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
He can be neutered and still compete in obedience and agility, and will do better in both if he *is* neutered. ;) He can also participate in tracking and hunt tests if he's neutered. Field bassets have to be intact.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Betsy,
Thank you so much!! I guess field trials will be out but that's ok :)

Jen

·
Registered
797 Posts
The American Hunting Basset Association rabbit hunts are open to any basset. These hunts are more like the AKC hunt tests except the hounds run for one hour. There is a conformation show at each hunt and neutered bassets can compete there also.
More info can be found at www.bassetnet.com
There will be AHBA hunts in PA on Labor Day weekend. Lots of room for camping, food available at the hunt. come join the fun for the weekend.
Dean Wickwire 610-942-2840

A

·
0 Posts
You should come to Pa. Labor Day weekend!! It will be the best introduction to Basset field events you can get. You and your dog will have a blast. Belinda.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ditto what Dean and Belinda said!!! It's a great time; everyone is so helpful to newbies. I'm planning on going even if my fiancee and I are getting married three weeks later. We'll be camping in the horse trailer, without horse. Good food; good friends; good times!

Alice :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
from the sounds of things it looks like the AKC Basset trials will be dead in 5 years because of some close minded thinking and not allowing spay/neuter dogs to compete LEGALLY!! yes i said LEGALLY!!!! Oh well i always have Beagles to fall back on.in case you are reading into anything yes there is serious consideration that PINEHAWK BASSETS will be no more,( not like it ever was something any way!!!)i guess after 40 years of Bassets it's time for a change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts