Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Maggie is now 16 month old. She is very food aggressive and is very small 35lbs. She acts more lie a Jack Russel terrier running jumping ect. Yesterday I opened the backdoor to let her out and she sprinted to the side of the yard. Before I could stop her, she was on a squirrel and proceeded to clamp down on it and go behind a set of large bushes. I got her to come to the backdoor bot she wouldn't give it up until I twisted her collar so tight she had to drop it. I am sure if I did not see this she would have ate it. Never seen a dog this fast.
I had a basset as a kid and this dog is the exact opposite. Growls when we pick her up to go into kennel at night as well.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
suggested reading for ya

Here are a few of the myths about resource guarding, according to Jean Donaldson's new book "Mine! A guide to resource guarding in dogs." Myth #1: Resource guarding is abnormal behavior. Myth #2: Because resource guarding is driven largely by genetics, it can’t be changed. Myth #3: Resource guarding can be cured by making a dog realize that resources are abundant. Myth #4: Resource guarding is a symptom of “dominance” or “pushiness.” Myth #5: Resource guarding is the result of “spoiling” a dog. So if the answer is not to "dominate" your dog or shower it with freely available food, then what is it? Simple. Make your dog understand that the approach of a human to his food, toys, space, etc. is a good thing. The process is called classical conditioning. Just as the clicker is associated with treats in your dog's mind, the approach of a human hand, face, or other body part to his food dish should mean better food is on it's way. The following process should be done with ALL dogs, for their entire lives. The only part that changes is how often you do these exercises, what sorts of things your dog has when you approach, and how close you can get to the dog before presenting it with the treat. Every capable member of the family should take part in these exercises, keeping safety firmly in mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts