Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new on here and I was just wondering if anyone else has an agressive type basset. I mean our boy is not agressive towards us, he is a sweet old man. He is agressive to just about everyone else. We have had him for almost 7 years. He was like this when we brought him home. He was 6 at the time. He has gotten a little bit more mellow in his age but he still is agressive towards other people. Our vet hadn't touch him for years w/o a muzzle. Last fall was the first time we did not have to muzzle him and we joked because he asked if I had given him something before we came in because he was so mellow he couldnt believe it. LOL :) In all honesty I couldnt either! :) We can't take him with us when we go for the fear of him actually biting someone. He is a WONDERFUL SWEET FELLA and I LOVE HIM to Pieces! I know at his age there is not much to change him, I was just wondering if anyone else has a basset with this behavior?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Did the rescue organization warn you about this, or do you think it started after you got him? When I first got my rescue, Stomps, he would act like he might bite when his toenails were being clipped, to the point where the vet wrote MUZZLE on his file. But he slowly mellowed until now he just lays there to have his nails done (not when I try to do them, mind you). And he used to pick fights with other dogs when he was tired and stressed. That too has pretty much stopped (I've tried to not let him get into a situation where he'd react violently, so I don't know if he'd still do it). I think rescues take a long time to shed some of their insecurities. It sounds, though, as though your boy has had plenty of time to do that. I don't want to minimize the danger of having an aggressive dog, but you seem to be careful about keeping him out of bad situations. There are all kinds of tactics for dealing with and trying to retrain an agressive dog, and if you do a search on this site for, say, "aggressive" or "aggression" I'm sure you'll get lots of tips. Dogs can change, but you'll always have to be on guard with him when others are around. Good luck and keep us updated about your progress.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
They make a soft muzzle that can be worn when you are worried about bringing a dog into a place where he might bite. I know I've seen several hounds with soft muzzles at our Waddles.

If my math is right he is probably 13? I doubt that he'll change a lot at this point. He's earned the right to be a bit grumpy! If it had just started I'd say get a complete physical, but I bet he's healthy. Dart, whose 12, has reacted strongtly when he's had ear infections and someone touches his ear. It took us almost 6 months to clear them up because the infection was so deep.

Give you baby a belly rub from us. We LOVE seniors!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for posting. You are right he will be 13 in about 2 mos. He has always been like this since we have had him. In all honesty it is more like he is being protective than anything else. It is not directed towards other dogs just humans. He was not from a rescue, we got him from a breeder that could not use him. So, they were looking to find him a good home and there we were. :) He has mellowed some in the last year or so, as I said the vet asked if I had given him something because it was the first time there was no muzzle and not even a growl in almost 7 years. we were in complete SHOCK! :D LOL But he still does it to some people, just not everyone anymore which is a great thing. :). Again Thank you so much for your replies :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
By no means am I professional, but here's my 2 cents....

We as humans do not like everyone we encounter...dogs are no different. For some reason or another they choose who they like and who they do not. They can not tell us in words they don't like someone so growling, etc is their way of expressing that. Of course you want everyone (dog included to be safe), but at this point in his life he is who he is! No different than a grumpy old man! :)

~Heather

1 - 5 of 5 Posts