Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks as we'll have to find a new home for Bianca.
After having rescued her almost a year ago, she's turned more and more agressive towards Lola.
Beginning of the week, they got into such a fight that Bianca needed about 15 stitches in her ear (Lola just defended herself, so we can't blame her).
We have to separate them all day, though in the evening when we can supervise, they'll stay mostly out of trouble.
This morning, another fight, and when trying to separate them (OK, I was stupid, put my hand in front of her mouth while they were fighting, forgot all lessons I had had due to a panic situation), Bianca bit me badly, to the point that I now can't stretch 3 out of 5 fingers of my left hand, and may need a stitch or two in the palm of my hand.

Problem is, she's now with us in the living room, sleeping peacefully on our lap, snoring as loud as ever.

It's heartbreaking we might have to take this decision. We called our behaviourist, and she thinks it may be a hormone thing. Bianca was in heat about 5 weeks ago, and now Lola is beginning her cycle.

We're going to the vet on Friday to have the stitches removed, so we'll talk about it. In the mean time, Bianca will be spending her days in our store (Belgian equivalent of Petsmart, she'll have a ball!) and Lola and Maurice will be staying at home.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Patrick

[ February 12, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Patrickp ]

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
No suggestions, just posting to say it sounds like you are doing the right thing given the level of agression and injuries. My heart goes out to you, I know this must be a very hard and sad decision to make.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
There was a thread on Cyberhound a month or so ago --- someone was having similar problems with two female dogs.

And several people with excellent experience with this noted the ferocity that can occur between two females who don't like them. To the point of death --- seriously.

It was also noted this is a situation which taxes even the most highly trained person.

The advice was to either permanently separate them (not such a great idea) or find a new home.

I think you're doing the right thing. The only thing I'd add is to be EXTREMELY careful until you are back to only one pup again. Seriously.

·
Registered
905 Posts
just a shot in the dark here, but would getting both of them spayed, or even one of them (the least dominant one) make any difference?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had already planned to get them both fixed, untill BOTH of them got into false pregnancy.
You can't spay a female when hormone levels are too high (according to our vet).

By the time they got out of it, it was already too close to the next cycle, so we'll have to wait at least 100 days (thats the 'standard') after the current heat cycle.

Patrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, I was the one talking about heat cycles as we'd been through it (and thats why we had already taken an appointment to get both girls fixed). But whereas the first time it was controllable, it now is impossible to keep them appart :(

Patrick

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Oh d'oh! I didn't notice it was you talking about that.

Wish I could be of help, but I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's getting more and more clear that we'll have to find another home for Bianca.
It's now impossible to let them together as they'll start growling immediately (well, Bianca is defying Lola) :(

It's come to a point that for the past two weeks, one of us sleeps in the couch with either Lola and Maurice, and the other one in the bed with Bianca.

We're going to the vet on Friday to get the stitches removed, and we'll have one last talk with her. If she also thinks that it would be best to separate them permanently, that's what we'll have to do :(

It's heartbreaking, as we've done so much for that little girl. From removing her from an abusing owner, to getting her up to speed with her shots, to house-training her, and taking care of some medical problems.

Patrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, things have been happening fast the last days....

The agression is still there, but we force ourselves to take the courrage to walk the doggies together and keep a close eye on them, and that seems to work.

We discovered yesterday, that despite the hormone treatment we gave Bianca for her false pregnancy 2 weeks ago, she is having a false pregnancy again! Giving milk, swollen nipples, building a nest.
Moreover, she now does 5 or 6 small pees instead of one large one when we take them out, and each time there is some discharge in her pee.
Called the emergency vet yesterday, and luckily, it was our vet that was on call this weekend. She now suspects a medical problem and we're due for blood work tomorow or Tuesday.

For once, I hope that the vet finds a medical problem that could explain all of this. It's just not normal that all went wel for 9 months, and all of a sudden she started to be aggressive.

It's contradictory, but I hope the vet finds something in her blood that would explain the nightmare we're going through at the moment :( and something we can (and WILL) treat, even if it doesn't solve THE problem, but I want her HEALTHY over all things.

Patrick

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I had the same problem with Soffi, she was building nests and attacked Emma as she was guarding puppies.
She ended up with uterus infection after the false pregnancy, maybe it's the same with Bianca?

·
Registered
987 Posts
So sorry you are having so many problems. I medical problem would certainly explain the aggression and perhaps a cure could help solve the behavior problems. I hope so.
you have to do what is best for everyone, but I hope all works out for you and the girls.
I know you have been working with Bianca for a while have you tried Jan Fennels methods?
http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/
Her methods have helped with in our house, our problem, wasn't quite the same as yours but there were aggression issues starting to crop up. They aren't completely gone yet, but things are much calmer around here.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the same problem with Soffi, she was building nests and attacked Emma as she was guarding puppies.
She ended up with uterus infection after the false pregnancy, maybe it's the same with Bianca?
Steinar, this is good news! (ok, that doesn't sound right, I know).

This is exactly what Bianca is doing: guarding certain parts of the house, like the place where they sleep together, the room where they eat.

She has her third false pregnancy (she had one beginning of the year, which was treated) and now again. That plus the discharge in her urine alarmed both me and the vet. I hope that Bianca has something similar...

Tell me, did the issue resolve after Soffi's UTI was treated?

Patrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to the vet today. She doesn't suspect an UTI, so no bloodwork done (yet). I got a new treatment for her false pregnancy, and the Vet confirmed that a female with pups (or who thinks she's got pups) can be one of the most dangerous creatures in the world towards other females.

So we went over when she show agression, and we concluded that it's only on their sleeping place, their feeding place, their drinking place. She's protecting her nest!

The vet is confident that fixing her will solve the problem :) She's scheduled for beginning of March if and only if her milk production has stopped by then.

Finally some good news :)

Patrick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, Bianca is now scheduled for her surgery next week 3rd of March. I'm anxious, not only because of the procedure, but also to see if it will solve the problem we have.

We do walk them together in the evening, and all goes well then, they even started playing a few times, so fingers crossed :)

Patrick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts