Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Im new to this site.
We recently (in dec) adopted a basset that had failed at his first two homes. All was going well until recently. He has started showing aggression to our pit bull mix. We also have a rat terrier mix, but they dont seem to have issues. When he gets aggressive, growling snarling etc, we quietly seperate him until he calms down. Im concerned something we're doing is triggering this.
It happens at random times I cant seem to find a pattern and sometimes seems to be out of nowhere. I know they need to establish their pack order but my pit bullx now seems so skittish and hesitates to enter the room when waffles(basset) is around. Any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've got one too! Here's what has helped:

OBEDIENCE TRAINING and making him "work" for everything (sit, stay, wait, etc for treats). I don't feed beef because I've been told there is an enzyme in beef that prevents him from feeling good about himself.

Sometimes we do a little excercise that when he's sitting on the sofa, I gently make him move, I then sit in the space he left, then give him a treat and some pets. That's supposed to let him know I'm the boss.

My husband makes them (3) wait at the top of the stairs till he calls them.

I guess I'm trying to say that anything that makes you the pack leader is helpful.

When you see Dean, Billy or Belinda post about American Hunting Basset Association, pay attention. Having a "job" in life is a good thing.

We are currently in a ring prep class for Rally. Fred is mostly good with the other dogs, not perfect, but way better than he was.

Good luck,

·
Registered
813 Posts
Are Waffles and your pit bull mix both intact males? When George moved in our Yorkie and he had issues from day one and I think that was why. We had to keep them separated the rest of the Yorkie's life.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts