Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year and a half old female basset. She is a "mini", only about 28 pounds, she had her first heat cycle kind of late and then had a false pregnancy. Since the false pregnancy she has become aggressive with dogs she has grown up with and afraid of new people. I was wondering if there was anything I could do, I cannot leave her with our dogs, or even be around them if she is near (b/c she will attack due to jealousy). She is my best friend and goes everywhere with me, which now seems impossible, I need HELP. She does get in trouble, but it seems to not phase her...I am used to training animals, have been doing this my entire life (dogs and horses), yet I am at a loss here. Will spaying help her?

Thanks so much!!
Blair and Daisy May

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Emma had a hysterectomy this summer,
but I can't say I see any change in behavior,
except that she's very obsessed about food... :blink:

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Consulting a behaviorist is the best advice I can give you. Also, I know this topic has been discussed before on the forum- do a search and see what you come up with.

I lived with an aggressive dog who had to be managed 24/7 for many years. It was VERY VERY hard, and I was never really comfortable with it. I understand what you are going through, and wish you the best with this bad situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both very much for your responses...it is so strange b/c she is so loveable to everyone and has to be in everyones lap, all the time...but just after her false pregnancy she became scared of certain people and will be aggressive toward my large male basset due to jealousy. She is being spayed as I write this :( , but maybe it is just her hormones being confused from her false pregnancy, and all will become normal again.

Thanks,
Blair and Daisy May

·
Registered
813 Posts
Gigi was awfully wild and crazy and prone to ballistic episodes before she was spayed, and she has calmed down considerably since then, but I don't know how much of the calming was due to the spay and how much is just that she feels more secure and at home and has learned some manners. She was a stray and I doubt she'd ever lived in a house before she came to us. I hope your girl gets back to normal soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts