Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, my parents adopted our basset hound Lenny 2 years ago, but ever since we got him, he has had aggression issues with our other basset Duke when my parents are not home, such as both of them fighting. Does anyone know a solution to permenantly stop him from having aggression issues with Duke, so they can be together and I don't need to worry about them fighting, the way I currently prevent it is by separating them so one of them is locked in a room. Is there something I can do to prevent Lenny from fighting Duke without separating them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
Not one that is reliable. However you do need to keep something in on dog can not fight by itself it takes two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lenny is the one that starts growling then Duke is probably the one who starts the fight. Is there possibly a way of stopping Lenny growling at Duke?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
triggers? food, space, etc........ this would be the first step towards some type of resolution. It may seem as though nothing triggers it but watch closely.

maybe video record it to observe later.

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
"Lenny is the one that starts growling "

it is sort of the human version of stop touching/poking me. at any time you look in either one can be the aggressor, Where in the time line you put the fight as beginning is arbitrary at any time before blood shed either one could have walked away but chose not to. Blaming one and not both only creates further issues. That is focusing on half the problem is not the solution. you need to address the part each dog plays.

That said at this point you are not going to be able to trust them together without supervision. Even if you were to do all the rehab available and they never had another fight ever. can you really trust them? If you left them alone together and something did happen could you live with yourself?

not saying that you can't expect them ever to get along. but that given the history you can not chance leaving them alone together, ever. You say you confine one to a room. IMHO that is not good enough. General rule of thumb is two closed/locked doors separate them not one. so each enclosed separately two room, two kennels , two crates etc.

blaming One dog for the fights can be part of the issue. If Lenny does not particular like Duke and in particular any attention he gets. It is not uncommon for a dog like him to figure out how to subtly set him off, get him punished then have the humans all to himself. When dealing with these types of issues besides dealing with the individual dogs you need to deal with the dynamic each creates blaming one for the fight most often is not correct and makes fixing the problem impossible.

You mention separating on in a closed room. Actual this is not even safe enough. Accident happen. You want two closed/locked door separating the dogs not one. THat way if one fail you have a backup in place. So both dogs locked in separate room, kennels, crates or some other means so there are two doors separating them not one.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Which one is the older because youngsters can start trying to be top dog. We didn't have many problems with our males but we did have one we kept from an all-male litter (Sods Law when not wanting another male to keep). By the time he was aroung 18 months he decided to have a go at his older uncle (who had been used at stud but not so with the younger boy) and the fighting became increasingly more serious, always started by the younger dog and always vs his uncle despite having 2 old males too. Normally I'd try to get them to settle their differences and to that end, I hoped, I put them together in the outside pen, knowing that if a skirmish started I could use the hose!! What did they do ..... sat with their noses together against the gate until I decided this wasn't going to work, and let them indoors again. Later in the day, another skirmish. :mad:

After a lot of thought because when we select one or two, to keep, they usually stuck, I contacted a girl, with two bitches, who I knew might be interested in having him. She was and I co-owned him with her until I made sure he was going to be okay. We went to see him a few months later and although he 'acknowledged' us, he turned back to what he was doing!! Much as I missed him, the good part was peace returned to our small pack - and his uncle was relieved I suspect.

I'm afraid you may have to give this some serious thought because, much as it's normally said that males tend to fight to mate and bitches to survive, fact is these two may never be reliably able to be left together. And I don't know about you, but I'd not want to live with two dogs that have to be in different rooms, to maintain peace.

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
resources

How to live with two dogs or even three dogs | Patricia McConnell | McConnell Publishing Inc.

FEELING OUTNUMBERED? - HOW TO MANAGE & ENJOY A MULTI-DOG HOUSEHOLD, 2ND EDITION - Dog Training and Behavior - Dogwise.com
Feeling Outnumbered DVD | Dog Training DVD | Patricia McConnell

http://suzanneclothier.com/pdfs/He Just Wants To Say Hi.pdf
"Aggression or appropriate response to rudeness? Far too many dogs suffer because handlers & trainers don't know the difference between the two.
By Suzanne Clothier"

should of asked this first. Define fighting, what if any damage is being done.

many times people misinterpret dog play and dog arguments for "fights"

Is Your Dog?s Rough Play Appropriate? | The Bark

Dogs Use Non-Aggressive Fighting to Resolve Conflicts | The Bark

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201404/aggression-between-dogs-in-the-same-household

I am not a fan of the support a particular dog methodology because it runs counter to most humans idea of fairness and hence it is not carried out consistently which results in a higher failure rate as noted from say the NILIF program in which each dogs can be treated the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts