Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have had 3 rescue bassets. Bowser is number 3. As was predicted by his foster mom, he is the cuddliest we have ever had. We’ve had him for 2 1/2 years with no problems worth mentioning. However, yesterday, as I entered the living room with my morning coffee (he was on the sofa, with his head in my husband’s lap) he not only growled at me, but showed his teeth as he barked aggressively. This behavior continued all day any time I got near him. I could use any advice on dealing with this behavior.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Based on your description this appears to be resource guarding, with the resource being your husband. I recommend hiring a trainer that specializes in behavior modification. In the meantime I would restrict the dogs access to high status positions such as the couch or bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Based on your description this appears to be resource guarding, with the resource being your husband. I recommend hiring a trainer that specializes in behavior modification. In the meantime I would restrict the dogs access to high status positions such as the couch or bed.
Thank you.Keeping him off the couch will be fun <grin>

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Apart from Frankie who for some reason never attempted to get up on the sofa (maybe because he recognised it was Teazel's place) all mine have been sofa surfers - more often than not with us sitting on the floor!! Yes, I know. Male bassets, perhaps more than bitches but that's an unwise generalisation, will resource guard but what happened with your rescue was ott and not something I'd tolerate. No up on the sofa for now, and especially not with access to your husband.. Can you think of anything you had to tell him off for, prior to this latest because I'd be really worried if he won't let you near him. Is he in obvious pain (lame?) - is he eating up? (dental problem). I think, without pushing this atm, I'd get him in for a vet check just in case there's a medical reason for what's now happening, if it didn't happen before now?

If you use a trainer - do make sure they know specifically about Basset traits. All too often people don't and although generally a Basset is just another 'dog', this is a unique hound breed and trainers need to approach training with that in mind. Do get his health checked before you involve any trainer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apart from Frankie who for some reason never attempted to get up on the sofa (maybe because he recognised it was Teazel's place) all mine have been sofa surfers - more often than not with us sitting on the floor!! Yes, I know. Male bassets, perhaps more than bitches but that's an unwise generalisation, will resource guard but what happened with your rescue was ott and not something I'd tolerate. No up on the sofa for now, and especially not with access to your husband.. Can you think of anything you had to tell him off for, prior to this latest because I'd be really worried if he won't let you near him. Is he in obvious pain (lame?) - is he eating up? (dental problem). I think, without pushing this atm, I'd get him in for a vet check just in case there's a medical reason for what's now happening, if it didn't happen before now?

If you use a trainer - do make sure they know specifically about Basset traits. All too often people don't and although generally a Basset is just another 'dog', this is a unique hound breed and trainers need to approach training with that in mind. Do get his health checked before you involve any trainer.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. He hasn't always done this. This was out of the blue. We have thought about his health, too. Behavior modification using training treats is helping some. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts