Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or I did! I bought a choke chain for Louie. Usually he wears a harness. I had given up trying to walk him. My arms and shoulders were in pain after a "walk around the block"....more like a drag (me dragging him) around the block. He just loves to smell and would stay in the same spot for several minutes. If he wasn't ready to leave, he would hunker down, chest to the ground and put those little legs straight out on each side. Impossible to move him!

So I am watching Lou get fatter and fatter and I am getting fatter and fatter, until I said, "That's it!"

Out I went and bought a choke chain. It worked the first day. Lou was up to his usual smelling and I gave a gentle yank on it, and said "Heel!" and he walked and walked and walked! He kept up a good pace around the block.

The next day I tried it again, and we walked 1 mile to the store and back.

Sunday we did a 3 miler. I had to call my husband to come get Lou, he was unable to keep up and very tired. I think I pushed him too hard.

Today we walked about 3/4 mile. I will keep this routine for a few days and more gradually add miles.

It is a pleasure to walk him! I never ever thought I would say this!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a trainer come in to work with Twinkie on some issues and when it came time to walking on a leash, she asked me if I had any objection to her using a "check" (as they called it) chain collar. I told her I thought it would be problematic with Twinkie because I believe she has some sort of throat injury which causes her to cought up water every time she takes a drink. We did, however, give a quick try (with the expected choking results), and I have to say that the trainer had her walking nicely with it with only about 5 or 6 corrections. I just can't use one on her because I don't want to do further injury to her throat, but I do have to say she walked well with one. Glad its working for you.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We use one when we walk with Bogie. After putting him through the AKC Canine Good Citizen obedience classes, which used a choke chain collar, he heels so nicely on a loose lease. We don't even have to tighten it any more. Just a slight tug and release for a correction when needed, and our walks are a pleasure. At class we had to work on "Head up" with a tug, because his nose was planted to the ground inhaling all those wonderful other dog smells. Twenty-four dogs in the class, so lots to smell. He walks now with head up and tail wagging.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do they really make that much difference? I need something to help with Bella's constant pulling, or should I say "tractor pulling". She has yanked my mother off of the porch and pulled my shoulder out of socket (I've already had two surguries on it in the last 3 years.). She is such a good girl when we are inside, but when I put her on a leash to take her outside, it's a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bella-n-Beau:
One of the techniques we learned to use that really helped with pulling was the minute the dog starts pulling immediately start walking backwards, dragging the dog along for a few steps if needed. Place the leash around your back, so the pulling isn't on your arms. When you go backwards quickly, this will snatch the dog around, and you quickly get their attention. Sounds cruel, but it does get their attention and after just a couple of times they will stop pulling. Say " (dog's name) Heel" and put them on your left side and resume walking. Give lots of praise when she walks without pulling.
Put the choke collar up high on their neck right behind the ears and this gives you more control and use a short leash for control. Be sure when you put the collar on it looks like the letter "P" as you slide it on their neck. This way it will release the pressure when not needed. You correct with tugs and releases. Don't let them lean into the collar. Give a sharp tug and release. Lots of patience and practice every day. If you can, get her into an obedience class. They are well worth the time and money. Good luck with Bella.

·
Registered
775 Posts
That is great that he is walking good. I too use a choke chain when I walk my kids. Their's is not chain it's material. Softer on the neck. We used that in obedience class too. Connie, good for Bogie that he is no longer a sniffer when he walks. I never could break Stickers of that habit. She sniffs the entire way!! That's okay with me. She is a scent hound after all.!!

One word of caution: I NEVER leave choke chains on my kids if they are not on leash. It is too easy for them to get caught on something and choke. I had a very close call with my German Shepherd several years ago. His bone shaped ID tag got caught between the wooden slates on the deck outside. He literally could not move his head. I had to cut the chain off his neck. Then I invested in the Break Away Collar, although now it's been renamed the Chinook collar after the inventor's dog who tragically strangled in it's choke collar. Sorry, if I'm preaching but we love our hounds and I just wanted to post the warning.

I hope you enjoy walking many more miles with your boy!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts