Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We am really having problems with one of our boys. He is having 3 recurring problems and I need some advice. Winston has developed 2 inter-digital cysts on his front paw in the last 6 months, the fur on the bottoms of his ears is falling out, and he is getting yeast infections on his paws. We are taking him to the vet about these problems (a vet that we have used for 14 years and really trust). The vet said that the ear problem is an auto-immune deficiency related to the cysts and the cysts and yeast are related to Winston's size. He is a big boy - 75 lbs - not overweight - just big. Anyone else have these problems? Any advice?

Worried Mom

T

·
0 Posts
Ok, this is going to sound nuts, but I'd be really tempted to try it and I'm pretty sure it would be harmless (except for making his feet a little off-color) if it didn't work. I would try dipping his feet in the blue power ear treatment with the gentian violet. Gentian violet is effective against yeast infections. Because it stains, I would use an old plastic bowl and do it outside and maybe have him stand on an old towel until it dries. (I know it would be hard to get him to stand still.) I don't know, I have a feeling it might work. I don't think it could hurt. Does anybody else think it might be worth a try?

Janet 'n Twink.

T

·
0 Posts
Gentian violet is a natural product that was much used in the past for yeast infections before today's modern drugs were available. Its still used today for thrush infections. Look up "thrush infection" and "gentian violet" on the net and you will learn much more. Some people have found it at their local pharmacy (and some pharmacies will order it for you) and others have even found it at their local Wal-Mart. You'll find lots of infor regarding it on the net, and probably on this site, the recipe for Blue Power ear cleaner. Best wishes and good luck.

Janet 'n Twink

·
Registered
14 Posts
What about yogurt? When I worked at a women's health clinic, we recommended yogurt for "female" yeast infections. It's probably not practical to dip his paws in, but maybe a little on his food...

Sally

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
the underlying cause is unlike because he is big.

Allergies atopic and food along with a condition called seborrhea are the most likely underlying factors in reoccuring yeast infections. Most vets are ill equipt to deal with skin problems I strongly recommend consulting with a vet that specializes in dermatology for more in see my post in stinky smells

you are unlikely to solve the problem by just treating the yeast infection you must get to the root cause.

[ November 03, 2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts