Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Hope you are having a wonderful summer! Snickers has been having a phenomonal one! She has met MANY new friends at our local dog park!
Here's the scoop....after months (what seemed like forever) my husband has finally gotten on board with the idea of a "sibling" for Snickers. I am excited/nervous/feeling thoughts of "are we nuts" But all in all I am extremely stoked! We are definitely getting another Basset, but are still undecided on a puppy or older dog that we rescue (i bounce back and forth, for they both have thier own pros/cons...but leaning more towards a pup)
OK, my question is this...another female, or a male? I would really like 2 gals, but hear that they may not get along so well. Snickers has a very sweet disposition, and she has been around both sexes...when she's at the park though, she primarily hangs with the girls...cause all the boys want to do is mount her...perhaps I have just answered my own question, but it's always nice to get feedback. I also keep in mind that when we do go for another pup, she will be totally involved in the process, and want her to help pick her "sibling"
I have some time to figure it out, for we will probably not put our nose to the grindstone till we get back from our Vacation in mid Sept.
BTW the name Reeses is at the top of my list...then I can call them the "candy girls (or kids)"

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know if this will help but our girls like to hang together. They will run and play with the boys outside but don't seem to like being inside with them.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Any same sex dog v dog aggression is almost alway reserved for intacted dogs, If you spay and nueter it makes very little difference if the pair are same sex or mixed sex. What is more important is the individuals and their personalities and not the sex of the dogs involved.

One of the major advantages of an adult vs a puppy is their personality is more perdictable therefore you know what you will end up with.

she will be totally involved in the process, and want her to help pick her "sibling"
sounds good in therory but does not always work out that way. Toughy was involved in picking out Zephyr. He was at the breeders 3-4 times getting aquanted with her etc. On the last meeting before she came home half way through there time together at the breed Toughy went up to her and She Barked in his face. He Jump and left to the far side of the yard and never hade any interest in approaching the rest of the day. At home Even though just a pup she was faster and more agile than he was and ran him ragged with her puppy play that he could have usually done without. This humiliation was not helping his general low self esteeme However on there walk in thethe cranberry bogs he was able to exploit an advantage. He would run up a loose sand mound but zypher had a hard time climbing it. When Toughy reached the top he would run down head lowered like abull basically run her over causing her to tumble down the hill. This when on for a little over a month. Zephyr watched Toughy closels and learned to bunny hop up the hill. When she did this the first time she beat Toughy up the hill and he now became the matador gored by the bull. She would even try an sneek in a bull charge on the flat ground when he was not paying attention. Most of thetime he would notice in time and like a matadore turn 90 degrees and whith her head of steam should could not course correct and would run by. But every once in a while she would connect and send hin sprawing even though he weighed 1/3 more than she did

A video of the antics of those two

They in the end were sibbling in the true sense of the world they got along fine but were never best buddies. Zephyr preferred puppies and Toughy like males that were bigger than he was. His best bud was a big red Aussie, they would chest bumb so hard you thought they were going to hurt themselves.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I have an update....we adopted a 3 year old male Basset last night from a couple who's son owned the dog, and ended up moving into a townhouse that did not allow dogs. They had 2 cocker spainiels already, and just could not handle a 3rd. They wanted to start traveling, and did not want the hassle of boarding 3 dogs. So needless to say, we brought Schofield (still awiting the correct spelling) home...I think once the newness wears off that him and Snick will be great siblings! I will post pics as soon as I find my camera! (hubby took it for a reenacting event last weekend, and I'm not sure which box he packed it in!) But so far so good!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry highjacking your thread but I love your idea for the names. My husband and I are in the same situation! We have right now Bolo (his name means cake in Portuguese) and we are planning to adopt a basset girl soon and already chose the name Cookie for her! LOL So, soon we will have cake and cookie at home! :)

Good luck with your new doggie! Snickers will love the company!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Any same sex dog v dog aggression is almost alway reserved for intacted dogs, If you spay and nueter it makes very little difference if the pair are same sex or mixed sex. What is more important is the individuals and their personalities and not the sex of the dogs involved.

One of the major advantages of an adult vs a puppy is their personality is more perdictable therefore you know what you will end up with.

sounds good in therory but does not always work out that way. Toughy was involved in picking out Zephyr. He was at the breeders 3-4 times getting aquanted with her etc. On the last meeting before she came home half way through there time together at the breed Toughy went up to her and She Barked in his face. He Jump and left to the far side of the yard and never hade any interest in approaching the rest of the day. At home Even though just a pup she was faster and more agile than he was and ran him ragged with her puppy play that he could have usually done without. This humiliation was not helping his general low self esteeme However on there walk in thethe cranberry bogs he was able to exploit an advantage. He would run up a loose sand mound but zypher had a hard time climbing it. When Toughy reached the top he would run down head lowered like abull basically run her over causing her to tumble down the hill. This when on for a little over a month. Zephyr watched Toughy closels and learned to bunny hop up the hill. When she did this the first time she beat Toughy up the hill and he now became the matador gored by the bull. She would even try an sneek in a bull charge on the flat ground when he was not paying attention. Most of thetime he would notice in time and like a matadore turn 90 degrees and whith her head of steam should could not course correct and would run by. But every once in a while she would connect and send hin sprawing even though he weighed 1/3 more than she did

A video of the antics of those two

They in the end were sibbling in the true sense of the world they got along fine but were never best buddies. Zephyr preferred puppies and Toughy like males that were bigger than he was. His best bud was a big red Aussie, they would chest bumb so hard you thought they were going to hurt themselves.
OMG Mikey T that video was just hilarious. I imagine that would be much like my own experience had I tried to work with both dogs at once. You had me nearly peeing in my pants I was laughing so hard. LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, now please tell me that Snickers will eventually leave him alone!!!!I'm scared that I made a mistake! This was supposed to be company for her..but sometimes she seems like she's gonna rip off his face! HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Miss Snickers-I don't know much about having two dogs, but! I can say this.

Think about if you had a daughter and she were the only child and you were to adopt a son. There is no way that transition would/could be easy for her! I am sure it is the same with Snickers and Schofeld. I am sure she will adjust with time. Adjust might mean they become best friends and it might mean they learn to just "live" with each other. I think you made a great decision taking Schofeld in and I am sure it will work out just fine with time!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congrats on the new addition

Give Miss Snickers and Schofeld some time, they'll adjust! Until then, you'll just have to put up with basset-mania every night!

Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
sometimes she seems like she's gonna rip off his face! HELP!!!!!
If she were going to it would have likely happened already. In general females run rough shod over the males.

How were the two introduced, FWIW because what has happened can not be undone, It is best to introduce dogs at a nuetral site so teritorrial possieveness is not part of the mix which can esculate conflict.

Since you do not give any detail it is hard to offer any advice but the follow links might be helpful

FEELING OUTNUMBERED? - HOW TO MANAGE & ENJOY A MULTI-DOG HOUSEHOLD, 2ND EDITION is also available in a DVD for those that learn better with visuals

for a fair review of the booklet click here
The guiding premise of the booklet is the value of teaching "polite, patient, and respectful" behaviors and making a conscious effort to reinforce these in situations where dogs might otherwise be pushy and demanding. The authors point out that, left unguided, many dogs will get pushier as they grasp for their own rewards, resulting in a mob of rude, potentially contentious dogs.

To their credit, London & McConnell don't focus on identifying and favoring the most dominant dog, nor on allowing dogs to work out their own conflicts. Rather, they stress that, "The best way to prevent status-related aggression... is to be a calm and confident leader, projecting a sense of benevolent power."
He Just Wants To Say "Hi!"
Aggression or appropriate response to rudeness? Far too many dogs suffer because handlers & trainers don't know the difference between the two.

WHY NOT TAKE CANDY FROM A BABY? (If he lets you!)
Examines manipulation as part of social life, and the dog's need for clear boundaries & leadership.

You will find all kinds of advice on dealing with "sibling Rivalry" as being a problem of pack hierarchy and you need to suport the alpha dog. This is complete and udder B.S.
Besides the fact that no to individules you support the therory when presented two dogs can agree on who the alpha is etc. It has been shown in studies of feral dogs that leadership is taken on at some time by the majority of the member of the pack.
the whole concept of pach hierarchy and the alpha dog is a myth. The last resource present in the opening as a great disertation on the fallacy of pack heirarchy in dogs

FIGHT! - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE TREATMENT OF DOG-DOG AGGRESSION

fair Review
Donaldson's writing is intelligent, straightforward, and presumes a working knowledge of behaviorist terminology. From the outset, she rejects the temptation to buy into anything other than a behaviorist approach to the topic. Her observations about the current understanding of canine dominance hierarchies are pithy and amusing, as she highlights how little is certain, despite various assertions to the contrary. Donaldson's point is well taken that "a disciplined focus on what the dog is doing (or not doing) is usually more fruitful" than speculating on the dog's thoughts and motivations

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice, but we decided that it was best to take Scofield back. He had a bit of anxiety and homesickness and would not stop barking..I did not want the neighbors complaining, and I just did not have the time to work with him! He's an awesome dog, but now I know that some things have to change...first and foremost is getting a house with a larger fenced in yard....but we are NOT sad, because everything happens for a reason....Whem we picked him up Wed. evening as we were leaving the husband started bawling, on the way home my hubby and I felt so bad, kinda like we ripped out a chunk of his heart. When we returned him last night, as soon as he walked out the door, he said that this was a sign from god that they were meant to keep this dog! We made some incredible new friends, and met an incredible dog, and are keeping in touch!
So again thanks to everyone for the great advice, and I promise that it will come in handy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, but we decided that it was best to take Scofield back. He had a bit of anxiety and homesickness and would not stop barking..I did not want the neighbors complaining, and I just did not have the time to work with him! He's an awesome dog, but now I know that some things have to change...first and foremost is getting a house with a larger fenced in yard....but we are NOT sad, because everything happens for a reason....Whem we picked him up Wed. evening as we were leaving the husband started bawling, on the way home my hubby and I felt so bad, kinda like we ripped out a chunk of his heart. When we returned him last night, as soon as he walked out the door, he said that this was a sign from god that they were meant to keep this dog! We made some incredible new friends, and met an incredible dog, and are keeping in touch!
So again thanks to everyone for the great advice, and I promise that it will come in handy!
I'm sorry it didn't work out with you and Schofield but I'm glad the previous owner was happy to take him back!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts