Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm a young professional and have a 6 month old Basset (Jesse, who I got at 9 wks old). I have a typical work day and am able to come home at lunch and let her out, give her some affection and short tug play. I've been crate training her since 3 months and she's taken well to it. We've just celebrated the third week in a row without a potty incident in the house!

I bring her to doggy day care on Tue / Thurs so she can stay socialized and stimulated. But, that does add up quickly (which is why I only take her 2 days a week).

I've seen the exercise pens for dogs and am considering getting one for her. I have a puppy cam set up at home and all she does is sleep in her comfy soft-crate. Does anybody have experience (whether good or bad) with exercise pens? Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with a 6 month old Basset puppy during the days she's not at day care? Bear in mind I do come home every day at lunch to give her attention.

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
When I bring a new puppy home, I set up an exercise pen (ex-pen), with the puppy's crate inside the ex-pen. That way, the pup can sleep in her crate and can stretch her legs, too. If the pup is very young, I also spread newspapers within the ex-pen. The puppy can potty on the newspapers while keeping her crate clean.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Beautiful pup!!!! Fred is at home during the day while I'm at work. I leave a radio or a TV on, so he won't feel lonely and I make sure he has plenty of toys to play with. When I'm at home during the way with him, he roams the house and we play sometimes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I got a Pet Yard XT for her yesterday. She still sleeps on the bed during the day, I guess it helps to be able to stretch her legs during the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts