Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belvedere has something that looks like a ruptured cyst. He had a small bump there years ago. We had it drained and tested and it was some kind of oil glad or hair folliclce thing. I can't remember but it wasn't serious and it was basically gone for a year or so. I noticed a small lump about a month ago but I thought it was the same thing coming back slightly. I knew we'd have to drain it again, test it, etc. No biggie ...I was planning to take him soon.

Today it was bleeding! Or draining. My husband noticed him llicking it. It was hard for about a half inch circle around it. I'll spare you the details but as I was messing with it, I emptied it out. It is flat now and looks like a small open sore. He's leaving it alone. It doesn't seem to bother him. It's pretty far back anyway ...almost out of the reach of the big mouth!

My question for today is whether or not I need to take him to the emergencly clinic or can I wait until tomrrow and go to the vet? I put neosporin on it and he's leaving it alone.

Dixie has something similar. When we got her in Feb, the vet said it eventually needed to be removed, since it opens up and drains. We've had the other health issue with her so we posponed the surgery. It looks very similar what Belly has today.

Does anyone know what these are or what causes them?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
At the moment, it doesn't sound like he needs a trip to the emergency vet. When my dogs' cysts rupture, I clean the area vigorously with soap and water and then hydrogen peroxide, making sure I express whatever material has collected since I last cleaned the area. Then I put triple antibiotic cream on the area.

Sometimes the area will become infected. Signs of infection include a spreading area of hardness and warmth around the wound and increased pain. If you think this is happening, he should be seen by your vet, who will likely prescribe antibiotics.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Yogi had one explode a year or so ago, and it didn't require any special treatment. I just cleaned it and kept an eye on it, and it was fine.

I was actually relieved it was gone. He'd had it since he was a pup.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Daisy has multiple cysts. I have been able to handle them as Betsy does, and most have healed very well. I've never had an infection occur - keeping the area very clean is important. Daisy does have one on her hip that keeps recurring. We'll probably have to have that one removed surgically. It's a good thing I can treat the minor ones at home. Daisy has 16 of the things at the moment. I'd be in the poorhouse if we took her to the vet for every one. Do note that I take her to have any new ones checked by the vet. He does a needle aspiration, and so far they have all been epidermal inclusion cysts. I also monitor all lumps for changes.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I usually just keep hot packing them 4 times a day until there's no longer an open wound, making sure to express until there's no obvious signs of contents from the cyst. If I clean it I use a povidine-iodine cleanser. Read a study years ago where peroxide actually slowed healing of decubitus ulcers because it killed the newly formed cells so I don't use it anymore. Also don't use an antibiotic ointment figuring they'll likely lick it off. I take the dogs temp to monitor for infection. If they're running a temp off to the vets for an antibiotic. And some need a drain put in so the wound will stay open. There's are cysts that just keep coming back and need to be surgically removed. Also unless a biopsy is done you're never can be sure it's not malignant.

It should get checked out at some point but don't think an ER visit is necessary unless he spikes a high fever.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your advice. I'll keep it clean today and take him in tomorrow if I don't see improvement. There is a hardened area ...so that scares me. It's not as bad as before it was cleared out, though. I'll just watch it.

I don't want it to end up like Dixie's. Hers was neglected for too long. I believe it should have been taken care of by the rescue organization before I got her but it wasn't, for some reason. I guess they were focused on her injury. She's healed from her skin cancer removal so I'll get her in as soon as we take care of Belly. It's always something!!

thansk!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts