Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor a few houses down who was 3 dogs who have only lived in the neighborhood about a year. When the owner lets them out of the house or truck, he does not keep them on a leash. They are all pretty aggressive with other dogs (lots of mean barking, not wanna-play barking) but 2 of the three will listen when the owner calls them back. The third dog will just bolt and start attacking. About six months ago the dog literally bit and held onto the chest of a beagle who lives across the street, causing severe damage. The dog ran down the driveway and went after Bogie. He isn't injured as badly as the beagle was, but has quite a few cuts on his side. I didn't have time to make a big fuss over the fight because I scooped up Bogie and ran in the house to treat the bleeding.

As far as I know, these were the only two times the dog has bit another dog, but I'm not positive. I don't believe the dog is aggressive towards people, just dogs. I would like the owner to start leashing the dog because the dog obviously is not recall trained and cannot be trusted off leash if this has happened twice. I don't want to call animal control because the person takes good care of the dogs - they are in good shape, healthy, and I don't think they deserve to be taken away, but I don't want Bogie or any other dog who just happens to be going on a morning walk to become another victim.

What do you all think is the best way for me to approach this? I know which house they live in, but the house is split into 5-6 apartments, so I have no idea which once is theirs. I don't know their names. Should I leave a note?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have in the past successfully dealt with such things by telling all the dog owners
I see that that bi-law control might targeting our area. Once I know the rumour has reached the problem owner, I give them a week to change their ways. I then follow through by calling bi-law control if the owner continues to leave the dog off the leash.

I've always found that not doing anything about situations like this where its only going to get worse are best if I force myself to deal with them immediately. Its so much worse if something happens you feel you could have prevented.

I understand being hesitant to approach the owner, often these people are like their animals, not quite under control. They can also react negatively to having animal control turn up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't want to call animal control because the person takes good care of the dogs - they are in good shape, healthy, and I don't think they deserve to be taken away, but I don't want Bogie or any other dog who just happens to be going on a morning walk to become another victim.
The owner is NOT taking good care of the dogs if they are loose and dog aggressive. Two dogs have already been attacked which is more than enough enough (in my area) for a dog to be labeled as "dangerous" and based on the severity of the injuries could be put down.

Confronting the owner may not be pleasant, but what if the next victim is a child? If my Snickers was attacked I would knock on every door until I found the owner and have an honest and civil discussion.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
878 Posts
How irresponsible!!! The owner needs to be told to control his dogs before damage is done to someone's pets or to a child!!!

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Most irresponsible owners that i have dealt with do not take kindly to being told what to do by neighbors. My advice is to inform animal control about the loose dog threatening other dogs an let them deal with the neighbor. they have the power to enforce which makes compliance much more likely. It is unfortunate that they were on contacted in the early two incidents.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most irresponsible owners that i have dealt with do not take kindly to being told what to do by neighbors. My advice is to inform animal control about the loose dog threatening other dogs an let them deal with the neighbor. they have the power to enforce which makes compliance much more likely. It is unfortunate that they were on contacted in the early two incidents.
Exactly! Call the animal control folks TODAY!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
And since you don't know their names, be ready to supply the license tag number on their truck to assist in identification.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point, I've left a note on the door and a phone number for the person with the dogs to call me. I've also asked my landlord if he has the house owners phone number so I can try to contact through them. If I don't have a response, I will call animal control. I have no idea if the owner of the first dog that was bit last year ever called to complain, but I am trying to get a hold of her to find out - she has since moved to a different state. The truck is always parked in a closed garage, so unless I happen to see it driving out I don't think I'll be able to catch the license plate number but I do know they live on the first floor apartment because the dogs heads are always hanging out the open window (with no screen) on warm, sunny days.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Call animal control. You can remain anonymous but it needs to be reported. They dont usually take the dog from their owner but they will advise them that the dogs must be controlled. I ride my bike in the mornings usually about 8 miles or so and there is nothing worse than loose, aggressive dogs that chase me because of an irresponsible owner. I also had a loose pitbull attack my Daisy when she was a puppy. Daisy was on a leash and with me and this dog came out of someones yard and attacked her. She has been traumatized ever since. Please make the call.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Seems to me that the apartment owner could be also held liable if he has been notified of the attacks and does nothing. Let him know this. Nothing like a healthy dose of liability to get some action! A well-worded letter, with a cc to your attorney is bound to catch his attention.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you heard anything?

This shouldn't be allowed to quietly slide into the inactive until we hear some person or child has paid the price for that. Please at the very least talk to all the other dog owners you meet and see that all are aware of the risk in the neighbourhood.
B. Basset's foster Mom.

We dogs don't know better, please help us be with owners who are responsible.
B. Basset

27 Posts
Call animal control. You can remain anonymous but it needs to be reported. They dont usually take the dog from their owner but they will advise them that the dogs must be controlled. I ride my bike in the mornings usually about 8 miles or so and there is nothing worse than loose, aggressive dogs that chase me because of an irresponsible owner. I also had a loose pitbull attack my Daisy when she was a puppy. Daisy was on a leash and with me and this dog came out of someones yard and attacked her. She has been traumatized ever since. Please make the call.

my retired guide dog ramble had to retire due to a provoked pit bull attack
please call animal control
dogs change when they are attacked their personality the way they act
everything you need to nip this in the but before it happens again but worse
but in the mean time fill a squirty bottle with half lemon juice & the other half peppermint essence & if you feel your dog is going to be attacked
give the aggressive dog a good squirt don't worry it doesn't hurt the offending dog one bit its the smell they don't like & they remember it well
i have checked it out with the vet & hes not against it at all he thought it was a very good idea
ive used this way many times to stop my guide dog fern being attacked & it dose work the aggressive dog soon remember the squirty bottle & runs away
hope it helps you and other people who have had there beloved pets attacked

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not end up calling Animal Control. I talked with some of my neighbors, dog people with the rescue I work with, and decided I'd prefer to at least try to talk to the owner first. I spoke with the woman who owns the dog - I always see her walking them on leash, but her boyfriend/husband does not always. She didn't even know about what happened, but now she does and she was very angry that he didn't tell her. I told her that I've already talked to the other neighbors with dogs about what happened this year and last year with the beagle, and that if the dog came after my dog again off leash and out of control, I have no other choice but to call Animal Control because this dog being off leash is not safe for the other dogs in our neighborhood. She was very nice about being approached, agreed to keep them on leash outside at all times and instruct her mate to do the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts