Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anne, you were a lot more civil than I would have been. You have witnessed on this forum how high my blood pressure can go when it comes to ignorant pet owners allowing their dogs to breed.
I would have told her to talk to her vet, that I didn't have time to educate the uneducatable.
"God's will" my left foot. Gives God a bad name.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Anne...I think you did a great job!! I would have blown my stack as I have no patience for this type of behavior! I agree with you...did they miss the spay/neuter programs or are they just stupid??!!! There is no reason for an "accidental" pregnancy to occur in pets!!!! I often wonder if these people would act so casual if their children just "accidently" got pregnant!!!

All right...off my soap box!!!!

Carol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anne...I think your response was great and a lot more civil than mine would have been!
Years ago, a family I used to know got a Basset (not from me!)from a bad BYB..."for the kids". The kids paid absolutely no attention to her and she wasn't allowed in the house at all...it was pitiful. When she was about 9 months old (1st season)a large neighborhood dog got into their fenced yard and bred her. When I found out I ranted, raved and begged them to terminate the pregnancy...to no avail. How she even had those puppies is beyond me but she did and they were all given away. Well, next season, guess what? Yep. Again. After the second litter had come and gone, I heard that they no longer had the Basset. About two years later my son was home on leave from the military and somehow the subject of those disgusting people and that poor Basset came up. I said I wondered what had happened to that poor little dog. My son sort of cleared his throat a couple of times and said, "Oh, don't worry, she's okay". And of course, I couldn't leave it at that so I dragged it out of him. Apparently my son, who was a senior in high school at the time was in the Basset's neighborhood one day and stopped to speak to her through the fence. He said it was very hot, and she had absolutely no water and a bowl of dry dog food with ants crawling in it. Nobody was home and he said he couldn't stand it anymore...so he took her...right there in broad daylight. He said he took her to a vet, had her spayed, paid for it, and gave her to the grandparents of one of his school friends. He said she had a great life with these folks and became their much-loved house dog. And he had never told anyone since of course he had, in reality, stolen the dog. I just couldn't believe it!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anne, don't you think God must see all the abused, unwanted, neglected creatures come across that Bridge and just shake His head in sorrow that people are so irresponsible? Bobbi's right, God's will, my foot.

Thanks. Adam is a nice young man. I was glad he did it and sorry that I hadn't done it myself after the first incident. I contacted the authorities, but was told they couldn't help since the Basset wasn't running around loose. So I just yelled at the owner and we didn't speak after that. They actually did have the nerve to call my house between the first and second litters and ask my mother if they could breed her to one of my Bassets. Let me tell you, they got an earful from the Fairy Dogmother that is probably unprintable. After that, we never heard from them again. I did hear that they never really even bothered to try to find their dog after she "disappeared". It still makes me want to throw up.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Shannon...your son is a hero in my eyes...I wish I could have "stolen" a dog from a "friend" ...instead..I called the humane society!!

Carol

·
Registered
932 Posts
Way to go Adam! You did the kindest, most humane thing for that dog & God will remember your intention.
Marcia, Casper & Luke

·
Registered
469 Posts
Anne, I thought your answer was great, but I do have a couple of differences.
I know this was accidental, but I do all the vaccinating, deworming etc. before the breeding as doing it while pregnant can hurt the puppies. When I did have an accidental breeding (the neighborhood border collie broke into my yard and bred my gordon setter) my vet said to wait until after the pups were born.
Not sure if you mean a morning after shot or an actual surgical abortion. My vet strongly discouraged me from the shot as it can be quite detrimental and have long-term effects on the bitch's health. Don't know about this case though, I'd recommend a planned c-section if the pups are over large. Or some vets will spay the bitch in early pregnancy and terminate the litter that way. But I guess it's not God's will.
I wonder if this woman has babies every nine months?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The "God's will" people make me sick. I guess it's God's will that their dogs and the "God's will" puppies, if they survive, suffer? Maybe God is testing them to see how cruel they will be to his creatures. They fail. God didn't domesticate dogs. People did. And along with that comes a level of responsibility these people don't have. However, there is NO talking sense to the deluded! Grrr.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I hear someone say it's Gods will,I usually see someone who does'nt want to take responsibilty for what needs to be done. They basically stick their heads in the sand and let life go on around them as if they are not accountable for the out come.
Anne everything you said was right on.

------------------
Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts