Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for adopting in December I've been checking petfinder regularly. I came across some pups that were "breeder released" meaning the shelter talked the breeder into giving them the pups instead of the breeder selling them. The adoption fee is $350.

What do you know/think about breeder release puppies in shelters?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't have an answer to the question you're asking but I'll tell you what the wifey and I did. We went to a basset rescue and the lady has about 100 bassets. We first went in there with the intention of finding the "cutest" one". hahahahaha. The rescue lady looked at us and said "Don't even try it. One of them will pick you, not the other way around". Best advice ever. She was soooo right. Woofus was the only one to not leave our sides for 2 hrs the first time we went, and when we went back he wouldn't leave us alone. HE chose us. Great experience. Good luck in your quest :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
About 3 years old. She had a whole range of them from 9 months to 18 years. Yes I said 18 years :) We kept an open mind on which one we would get. But for some reason if you just do it this way you'll know when you see the dog which one's good for you. Can't wait to see pics of whoever you choose....or whoever chooses you ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
I don't have an answer to the question you're asking but I'll tell you what the wifey and I did. We went to a basset rescue and the lady has about 100 bassets. We first went in there with the intention of finding the "cutest" one". hahahahaha. The rescue lady looked at us and said "Don't even try it. One of them will pick you, not the other way around". Best advice ever. She was soooo right. Woofus was the only one to not leave our sides for 2 hrs the first time we went, and when we went back he wouldn't leave us alone. HE chose us. Great experience. Good luck in your quest :)
I definitely agree with this. When we went to visit Anabelle (I already knew her but my husband did not) my husband sat down on the porch at the shelter and she walked right up to him and put her head in his lap. It's like she knew he was the one taking her home.

I don't see any problem with it as long as the money is going to a reputable rescue and not to the breeder (who I have to assume is a backyard breeder). You might not get a basset that perfectly meets the breed standard, but that will always be the case with puppies that don't come from an established and reputable breeder.

Puppies are always the fastest to get adopted, though, so while I would think over the decision thoroughly, keep in mind that they won't be there forever. $350 seems steep for a shelter dog, so I have to guess they know that the puppies will have some demand from potential adopters. At the shelter I am involved with, all puppies are $175.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts