Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:(:confused:

My name is Heather and I am here to vent, or get some advise. Something to help me deal with my adoption fail.

Last month, I adopted a basset/beagle mix. Female around 7-8 years old. 1 week after I took her for a check,the check up revealed a boat load of health issues and future issues. From heartworms to possible failed anal glands.
I say possible because medical attempts to help her with the anal gland issues have failed and there was talks of removing the glands. Plus a few other issues as well. Easy to fix issues if you ask me. Anyhow, after that heavy bomb came the behavior issues. Food bowl hoarding. Meaning, she would baby sit the food bowl or eat all the food. Then the obsessive barking when she will smell a scent in the back yard. And I do stress obsessive!!My family put so much stress on me about her that I had no choice but to return her. Which, I haven't been able to find peace with that at all. I was able to track her down by FB mail updates from the shelter. So a twist of fate, a rescue group got her out of the shelter I had to return her too. One week after being at the rescue, she was adopted once more, only to be returned to the rescue. I feel like this person who has to hide in the shadows to keep an eye on her. I've donated a good bit of money to the rescue in my adopted girls name. I have stressed about her health issues and everything else to make sure she is not being bounced around, like she is now. This dogs life hasn't been great. used for hunting and breeding, then dumped to now being bounced around. I want her back so badly. She belongs with me, I feel this. I don't care about her issues, I can work with those. But since it looks like I'll never be able to have her, what can I do to over come the hurt? I know time heals, but what do you do with the feelings of knowing your the one for a special needs animal and you can't have them, and only to see them being unwanted by everyone else? Anyone else go threw this??? She'll be at the Wake Forest Pet Smart in NC....again, to find someone (whom I hope will be like me and accept her for all that she is)....:confused:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I sorry for you both - I don't know what you can do since it sounds like you don't have final say on having the dog with you - maybe if you help try and find a good home for her and let the new parents know beforehand what her special needs are. It always breaks my heart to see a dog moved around - it only makes their problems worse because they don't understand what is going on and are scared. Is there a Basset Rescue in your area that can help? If not maybe try out of state for a Basset Rescue. Or search Facebook for Basset groups in your area maybe.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I just hate to see them bounced around like this. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to get them comfortable around a new place.

Is there anyway you can talk to your family and get them to help you with her rehabilitation. Because it really is just that. When I first got Turtle I didn't
think I was going to make it with her she was such a nut but we made it.

And then when i got Maddie she was attacking everyone but we have worked through it all and it is so much better now. I mean she was attacking my other dogs not people.

The food bowl thing is very easy just when she's done eating pick it up. I am a firm believer in that a dog should not be self fed anyway. The obsessing about a sent in the yard would be a little harder but if you get her out and walk as much and as long as you can will help with that. I always say that a tired hound is a happy hound. and if she was used for a hunting dog she will need this allot.

Maddie was used as a hunting dog 11 years ago and at 13 she still wants to take a long walk all the time.

You just need to get your family on board see if you can make them understand this poor old girl needs some help.

Let use know how it goes and good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think that if you strongly feel she belongs to you, you go find a behaviourist and tell them the situation, get them to agree to work with you, take them with you to the shelter and say you would like to readopt the dog and with this behaviorists help. I would imagine if you showed that kind of commitment to rehabilitate the dog, you might have a chance of adoption. The thing with rescues is there is a larger % of them having issues that need to be "fixed" and thats the reason they were abandoned. And like others have said, there is an adjustment period for the dog to get comfortable in your home, with you, with new routines. I have a rescue and its been tough too with her own issues, but that's what professionals are for. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried to persuade the family, meaning the husband. Talks of a battle plan for the health issues and other issues as stated, to how I will keep her from being a menace. Plans and back up plans on top of it. He knows just how good I am with training a new pack member! The only thing he has taken an understanding to is, if I see her dumped at some shelter for ANY reason, rather some adoptee did the dumping or the shelter had no alternative choice (no foster homes, no room, no money, no nothing) I am getting her out and bringing her back with me. No if and's or buts about it. We both agree on that one (rather he likes it or knows it not)

She was adopted, again, and again, brought back. I suspected that happening. :/ There isn't much that can be done except rely on hope and pray for the best. But, until then, I wait from afar, donate money to her health and care and just make sure she doesn't land at some piss poor shelter or any other "last resort" (omg, I almost want her to be dumped at a shelter so I do have the green light to go get her) But, hope and chance is what I'll pray for instead. It just feels like fate has seriously conjured up a twisted plan for her involving me, her and the rescue...Just not sure what that can be..

To Be Continued....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
557995_439593099453694_1397530709_n.jpg Relaxing at the rescues home

557678_430536987025972_1947404776_n.jpg Being picked up at the shelter

au.jpg Enjoying her scrambled egg breakfast at my house the morning after me adopting her. (her on her temp. bed)

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
It can depend a lot on the quality of the rescue - some are better at screening/placing than others.

FWIW, I once fostered a Bagel that I named Boomer - short for "Boomerang" because he kept coming back. The shelter had adopted him out three times before I got him, and I had to place him three more times before he finally found a forever home where he spent the rest of his life.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ah this is breaking my heart. The poor thing, I want to go get her myself. She is so cute, and I do understand go read my tail about how I got Maddie. I put it under one of the threads about the 10 year old basset finding her owner. I think there are two but it is under the first one.

Maddie was a trial at first and so was Turtle but I made it and we love Maddie so much and she has only been with us for not even 2 years yet. This stress of being adopted and returned is not good for this poor dog. How was she inside the house?

And I'm really glad you came back, if I can't learn the outcome of this one I will go crazy. What is the problem with her anal glands? They can't just be expressed, I use to do one of my bassets quit often.

·
Super Moderator
1,134 Posts
It can depend a lot on the quality of the rescue - some are better at screening/placing than others.

FWIW, I once fostered a Bagel that I named Boomer - short for "Boomerang" because he kept coming back. The shelter had adopted him out three times before I got him, and I had to place him three more times before he finally found a forever home where he spent the rest of his life.
I'm a cynical old ***, but do they charge an adoption fee every time the poor dog is placed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Droopy is at the rescue. The actual person who helps run the rescue. She is with her in Wake Forest NC. The adoption fee is 200. Which to me I don't know how they do it with the money the sunk into her already. Umm her glands are seemingly fine. I spoke to one of the owners of the rescue about being a transporter for a job she needed. I'm not sure if they got the Hernia fixed, but, I haven't got a chance to ask neither :unsure:

The rescue'er is making sure she goes to the right home. Making applicants well aware of Droopy. She makes sure people who adopt her is going to be able to sink the money and time into her if need be. No outside keeping, strictly inside dog. I'd like to think I had a little something to do with that since I STRESSED how she needed to be an inside dog only when I returned her..But it also takes common sense to know, an elder girl is to be an inside dog. Well, a dog like Droopy anyhow.

Before.........
Her glands, when being expressed, didn't give the relief needed. They always needed to be expressed every day, and would get infected. Meds for the infection wouldn't do much good. Which by now, it might be under control since the rescue'er said she has been doing great. (if that's what she was talking about when I spoke to her..time for detail conversations was not available today. Just in new homes, there seems to be a potty issues. But on a schedule and water schedule, it should be a HUGE help to prevent indoor potty time. I should say possible potty issues. Cause the last person to adopt her and return her said this was an issue. The rescue'er said she hasn't had that issue. But you never know how many times someone lets the dogs out or any thing like that...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Well I hope it's true and the poor thing is doing better. I would think they would take care of the hernia when they spayed her.

I really hope they get her into the right home that can help her. thanks for keeping use updated, I want to know when she is settled and happy :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:)

Droopy's hernia is in the back tit. When I took her to the vet for a Droopy girl check up, there was two. One, I assumed was fixed which was where they said they were making the incision for the spay. And since i didn't feel it or see it, Im going to say yes, that one was fixed. The other, which can be felt in the back tit near the groin area. When you put her on her back, it would vanish, so that was the assumption of why we felt a mass, then nothing when she was flipped over.

Her rescuer is nothing short of a gem. When I spoke to her, Droopy is loved so much that finding a home isn't being pressed. Of course, they still look, but again, not stressed.

A friend of mine said three great words to me to help me deal with this..... "The butterfly effect"
To which, I am glad I can put this event into correct words. Most times, you have to come up with your own words for a picture...

I can't say for sure this will be my last update, unless an urgent situation pop's up. But, for now, I'm signing off on this...

Thank you so much just for taking the time....

Heather N Droopy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My baby came from a shelter. He was placed in the shelter when he was a year or 2 year old. His first owner died of cancer...You know his family didn't want nothing to do with him, so they dumped him at the shelter. Then the SPCA adopted out him 3 other times....They never knew why, just that he always came back. we are finally his fourth home. And finally his forever home. The only thing my husband and I thought about is he slept a lot, he didn't know how to give kisses, he doesn't like fetch or playing like a dog with a squeaky's. this is when we first brought him home and for a year after. 3 years now with us. He is starting to give me kissies. He is super close with me. But we do notice when my husband and son play wrestle or any kind of rough housing. My baby cowers. So we are assuming a man did something to him. Were just not sure what happened to him. He also hates when I leave him...even for a hour. He will jump on me, cry, growl, whimper....and this will go on for at least 20 min at one time.
But defiantly after 3 years, he is coming out of his shell. and finally seeing a little puppieness in him. He is about 5 or 6 now. And starting to realize he is not going back to the shelter, you can see a little relief in his face now....Like great I am home now!!.
I think if you gave your baby some time he probably would of calmed down a bit too. Dogs that are going from home to home really first need to earn your trust before they can truly show there true self. Once they get your trust, you will start seeing there better side. I am not sure about the babies health issues I have never rescued a baby with ton of health issues, someone else might be able to answer that!!. But all his behavioral issues would end up calming down I would think when he got at least your trust. you didn't mention how your husband treated him?!?!. If you still come on here I would love to know what happened too!!. It would be sooo awesome if you and him had a happily ever after or at least he found a happily ever after!!!. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts