Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Teddy is almost one year old and the original breeder is having another litter of pups in January. I would like to get Teddy a brother since he has such a sweet temperament and the breeder is so reputable. But I've read it's better for a male basset to have a female as his companion, but I really prefer male dogs. Any thoughts of whether having two male bassets (and brothers) will be an issue? Thanks to all advice. Here is my sweetheart Teddy

Dog Carnivore Scent hound Fawn Hound

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Thankfully, being a pack hound, most Bassets get along just fine with either gender. Our first was a male and when he was around a year, having realised he wasn't a top quality show example, we decided to look for another. By then, we'd joined the Breed Club here in the UK, and local branch and became aware of a breeder showing a lovely puppy. I approached her and she was intending to do another litter. We managed to persuade her to do a repeat of the mating that produced her 'lovely puppy' and were able to book pick male. Yes, another male. And in the main, they got along just fine. Fact is I preferred male Bassets at the time and I'd had nothing to do with female dogs previously either. We did have to home a young male we'd kept (from an all male litter) after he started challenging his uncle with increasingly nasty fights, all instigated by him although his uncle was entitled to defend himself!

Yes, in general it's thought that males get along better with females under the same roof but that raises the point that the female would have to be spayed. The decision is yours (and would depend on what your breeder has available and what your requirements are of another hound - showing or no?). Bearing in mind most breeders want to keep the best bitch from their litters too.

There is a difference between having litter brothers and just another male, whether from the same breeder or not. I had a friend with litter brothers and it was one constant fight, other than when out on exercise when together, they were fine. It was something I couldn't live with, for sure but it could have been avoided had they not both been dominant hounds. When one got up from a nap, the other was up on his feet and at it!

I would just say that if your hound is approaching a year, it's imo, the right time to bring in another.

Siblings come from the same litter btw.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
The issue with two males have two important components, !. they are intact, 2, they tend from time to time to be in close proximity to Females in heat. If these do not occur rarely is there a problem. Male /Male is all about access to breeding females. so therefore is more of a "breeder" issue rather than your typical pet household.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Teddy is almost one year old and the original breeder is having another litter of pups in January. I would like to get Teddy a brother since he has such a sweet temperament and the breeder is so reputable. But I've read it's better for a male basset to have a female as his companion, but I really prefer male dogs. Any thoughts of whether having two male bassets (and brothers) will be an issue? Thanks to all advice. Here is my sweetheart Teddy

View attachment 29222
Your Teddy is adorable! I'm looking for a male mate for my 2 year old female. Would you share your breeder's name?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts