Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a dog on Adequan? Bowser's been on it for a few months, and at first he seemed to do great. He stopped limping and seemed to feel better..however in just this past week his leg has turned outward more than ever! He's now standing on a tilted foot..he's standing on his front toe. He turned a year old in March, so I know he's not really done with growing, but at this point I'm worried that expensive surgery is the only option. : (
Anyone find that adequan made anything worse?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Anyone find that adequan made anything worse?
given the nature of adequan that is highly unlikely. The growth plates do not close at the same time. It is why I recommend waiting until they are closed before such surregery because the problem might self correct or continue to get worse but it makes little sense to do the surgey while things are still changing.

If the angular limb deformity is causing pain it is general severe enough to cause subsequent joint damage and arthritis to follow, while adequan might delay the joint destruction and arthritis it is not a cure the only cure is surgery.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I used to give Adequan to an older dog I had. But I don't understand why you're giving it to Bowser. Adequan is to prevent arthritis. It doesn't have anything to do with bone growth. Perhaps you should do some research on Adequan and then discuss with your vet. (It worked great with my older dog, but she had arthritis).

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
(It worked great with my older dog, but she had arthritis). [/quoe]

Given the nature of angular limb deformities the purpose of adequin is just that to prevent arthritis before surgery, making the prognoses after surgery much better.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Poor poor Bowser. We're thinking healing thoughts and Doppler and Virga send lots of drool. Hope he gets better and starts feeling better too.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lightning&Stomps...it's preventative and was my only option other than surgery.

I know it's causing him pain at this point (it's so strange it just happened during this past week...my husband and I woke up one day and saw his paw had just turned dramatically) He licks his front paws constantly now, and if i touch the front left toe he jerks it away from me and one time he groan/squaked.

He's still young, but at this point I fear that surgery is the only option. I was just curious as to why he seemed to get worse even though he was on the Adequan. I thought it would work miracles *lol*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts