Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old female purebread Bassett has had health issues from day 1. She has dirty ears, we clean daily, apply medicine,etc. She started to get hot spots, scratching until the skin oozes. We shaved the spots cleaned and medicated. One vet suggested that we were feeding her cheap food. We began to feed her expensive single protien foods and suppliments. The we tried skin ease, a suppliment bought online and that seemed to help more than the food change.

Then, last year she contracted Leptosplorosis(sp?). This is found in wild animal urine(possibly in our back yard, fenced by the way?), her liver was damaged from this but pulled out of it pretty well. My wallet was 1,000 dollar lighter however. This was all strange as the vet had given her a shot to prevent this very disease. His answer was sometimes it doesnt work? So why am I paying for this protective measure? 3 dogs in my nieghborhood died that month. I walked around and spoke to the owners. 2 said they were told it was lime desease, one died of kidney failure. My other nieghbor is a state biologist, he said, Lepto was common in the area and often mis diagnosed. Ok, learned a little on this one.

She then had toe nails that were oozing green stuff and were infected? We had the vet cut them back once and that was painful for the dog and heart wrenching for me. We had her on anti biotics, topicals, etc.

The nail began to grow in above the remiander of the old nails, mutated I guess you could say. This time I had her sedated and we removed all the claws as far back as we could to promote new growth. Yes, a nightmare. I being brief in this episodes, but understand the care and time it took for all of these things to be treated.

She started to climb the stairs slowly, not plays as much. She looked depressed, looked at the floor not at us in the eye. She would shake for no reason as if she were cold.
We finally said the first 2 vets have been less than helpful so far, let go to the big 24/7 emergency hospital.(3 million dollar building and all) They were very nice and said it sounds like Addisons. She was hospitalized for 3 days and tests confirmed Addisons. She would need monthly shots $110, prednisone and monitoring for the rest of her life. Well, she's home now, day 5 she still looks horrible, puking up bile every hour. Peeing everywhere and drinking constantly. I hope the medications take effect soon, I can't take much more of this.

I guess I just wanted everyone to know what has happened to our dog some they may learn something from it. I on't know what the message is exactly, don't listen to your vet? Don't buy a dog? Maybe just not a Bassett?
Here is something else ironic. Buddy is out other dog, he's 14. Half Bassett, half black Lab. Got him at the pound. He's always healthy, eats Alpo and the vet can't find anything worng with he ever? Go figure.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It sounds like you've both had a rough time- I can understand your frustration.

The nail problem and the Lepto I've never experienced,but Murray has on-going skin problems due to allergies, and it's just something we deal with on a daily basis. We found that he was allergic to most protein sources other than fish, and when we switched him to Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato at about one year of age, things improved alot.

I clean his ears weekly with Dermapet which is hypo-allergenic and which I get from the vet. That made a big difference in his ear problems. Malaseb helps keep yeast under his armpits to a minimum, and for hot spots we use Gentocin spray(cortisone and antibiotic) which we get from the vet.It heals sores really quickly, usually within 24 hours.

We had a dachshund with Cushings, which is sort of the opposite condition of Addisons. Once he got adjusted to the medication he did really well- I hope your basset is just adjusting right now to the meds- can you call the vet and describe what's happening? They can tell you if this is normal or if the meds need to be adjusted.

Having a vet you really trust is important when you have a dog with alot of health problems. If you don't trust the vet you're seeing now, can you talk with other basset owners in your area and see who they go to?

I don't know if I've been any help to you, but honestly, my heart goes out to you. Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your little girl. It's horrible to keep going through medical problems.

I think that once the Addision's medications kick in she will be a much healthier little girl. People say they have dogs who live normal, happy lives once the disease in under control.

Lepto seems worse this year than in past years. Haven't a clue why. I'm glad she recovered! Unfortunately vaccines are never 100%.

I'd love to see a pic of your baby and also know her name!

·
Registered
939 Posts
is addisons genetic? another one that i have never heard of until now.if it is genetic,did you notify the breeder?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
I must thank all that replied to my post for your concern. Zoey, is doing much better today. Not eating very much, but acts better. She started to do what we call the inch worm dance. She hops and twists from side to side like an inch worm! She slides around on the hardwood floor like an ice rink. She also attacked The Kiity, not areal kitty, but a stuffed canvas toy that sqeaks. When she is normal, the daily attacked of the Kitty takes place several times during the day followed by several naps. Odd thing is her ears are clean and she is not scratching at all? I'll keep you all posted on her progress. I tried to enclose a picture but it woulnd display?
Whats the easiest way to do this?

·
Registered
662 Posts
< snip >
We finally said the first 2 vets have been less than helpful so far, let go to the big 24/7 emergency hospital.(3 million dollar building and all) They were very nice and said it sounds like Addisons. She was hospitalized for 3 days and tests confirmed Addisons. She would need monthly shots $110, prednisone and monitoring for the rest of her life. Well, she's home now, day 5 she still looks horrible, puking up bile every hour. Peeing everywhere and drinking constantly. I hope the medications take effect soon, I can't take much more of this.
< snip >[/b]
My heart goes out to you ... something similar happened recently to me with one of my hounds and it was finally confirmed she had Addison's ... I actually "diagnosed" her with help from members of this forum ... someone listened to her symptoms and suggested I look into it - I then went back to the vet and told them what specifically to test for and they did and confirmed the diagnosis ...

In the mean time I'm stll paying off the bill that we racked up and Mocha is no longer with us.

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
662 Posts
is addisons genetic? another one that i have never heard of until now.if it is genetic,did you notify the breeder?[/b]
From what I went through with Mocha and from what I was able to dig up on the net all indications are that Addison's IS genetic... however it can skip generations and may not be traceable in the between generations and they don't know exact causes or means of transferance or why it skips etc.

They also call it a "masking disease"... it's apparently very easy to mis-diagnose for quite some time due to the fact it has symptoms that can be related to any number of other diseases etc ... and unfortunately most times by the time it's properly diagnosed the animal has already gone into a crisis or complete body shock wich can lead to organ damage if it's not caught in time and if they are slow to respond to treatment.

And also as mentioned if they do respond then they must be on medications and monitoring every day for the rest of their lives. And it's not inexpensive to begin with, and there's still the threat of environmental stressors triggering another episode (and episodes become more common and stronger the more they happen, the more likely they will happen again).

Unfortunately the breeder I got my pups from refuses to accept the fact it was genetic and has basically denied any possible connection with her animals. (In spite of the information I sent her directly from my vet, the information I found online and the statement she herself told me HER vet made.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts