Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 female bassets. Two are your normal-type basset who like to go for walks and more or less won't do anything unless food is involved. My youngest though is more of a blood hound type basset. Lives to go to the dog park and hunt squirrels (doesn't catch them), but spends 1-1/2 to 2 hours every day running. They are all rescued hounds, the youngest, however, was in a breeder invironment. It is getting too expensive for me to go to the dog park any longer. Am I going to psychologically damage the youngest if I take away her squirrels and replace them with walks in the neighborhood? Thx.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Not so much the squirrels, but significantly reducing her exercise and mental stimulation may result in boredom and too much energy, which is a recipe for undesirable behavior. You may want to look at taking up a sport with her.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
You may want to look at taking up a sport with her
give her hunting instinct you may want to check out any local beagle clubs. while most are reluctant to have any basset join. Field trial/hunt is a good exercise and mental stimulation. Also you can check out AHBA to see if there are any near by clubs and /or a state rep might be able to help you out. A dog need not be ak registered to participate in AHBA events.

other sport that basset participate in include Rally, agility and even flyball.

and some ideas to keep her entertained in the back yard
SCENT GAMES - Educating Your Dog's Nose

Fitness In Your Back Yard

interavtive Toys

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree with the sport idea. There are quite a few out there. Agility is a lot of fun and a great workout for the dogs (and the people for that matter).

Have you checked for any other dog parks in your area? The public ones where I live are free.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yeah, obedience, too! A-hem..tracking is a sport. I've never run into ticks, snakes or coyotes while bowling :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your responses. Unfortunately, the sport thing wouldn't work too well for us as I like to keep the girls together as much as possible and funds are getting sparser and sparser. I guess the kindest thing for Fancy would be to find her a home that has property, trees and is fully fenced in. However, she is the sweetest easiest little basset (no attitude whatsoever -- very different from my other girls) and has become so well adjusted in the 2 years she has been with me. I think the best I can do for all of us (ok, maybe not Fancy) is to take a few days off from the dog park each week. I will walk her separately as fast as we can go, and then walk the other 2 (slow-poke and cat poop locator) separately. Hopefully Fancy will get used to the alone time with me and start to enjoy it instead of the park. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I like to keep the girls together as much as possible
you need to teeach the others fustration tolerance so that all the dog do not have to be participating all at once. Those that work on the sport angle have multiple dogs they all don't get to work at the same time and not all partcipate. Dumbing things down to the lowest common denominator is not good for any of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts