Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thanks for the information about potty training. I really appreciate it.

Still trying to figure out the hound odor. I've been around bassets quite a bit and never noticed an odor. Still checking into this. I will cut back on the baths though. Maybe that will help.

I do have another question. How active are basset hounds generally speaking? I know that every dog is different, but Flash has an abundance of energy which I think is great. Will he settle down as he gets older or is this just his personality? Is this the puppy in him?

He loves to wrestle with our husky. And they run and play in the snow! (We're in NH). When I get home he is sooooo excited and jumps and barks. It's a wonderful greeting when I get home.

Keep Flash in your prayers, he's going to be lonely next week. My children and I are off to NC to see my grandmother whose health is declining. My husband will be home with Flash and will take good care of him. But of course Flash is use to attention from 4 people everyday, not just 1. *G*

Kathey

·
Registered
773 Posts
Energy levels can vary, but a puppy is a puppy, no matter what the breed. Basset pups need exercise. In fact, all three of my 'more mature' bassets need exercise! Charlie, who will be seven tomorrow, usually has a good rip after dinner. If he can go outside, fine, but if he can't (too much snow on the ground, rain, etc.), he runs around the house barking and having a blast. My two younger girls, especially Eloise, who is not yet two, have their own bursts of energy, too, and are more than happy to join in the fracus!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
A Basset will take all the exercise you can give it, and probably more than most of us have time for daily. A mature dog will settle into your routine. We take two 30 minute walks, in the morning about an hour or two after breakfast (7-9 depending on how cold it is) and about 4 just before dinner. I have found that the dogs then are content (to say the least) to snooze/lie around the rest of the day. They don't even care to go out unless I go. We walk longer/harder on the weekends. When I did not work from home and had only one dog, then the evening was time for WWF action, at least for the first couple of years: body slams, tug, etc., etc. The dog will adapt its schedule/energy level to yours.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
When I got Lightning, I was definitely under the very common misconception that basset hounds are couch potatos from birth. He was a ball of fire until he turned five (which is funny, because when I first went to see him, I was so impressed with how calm his aunt was, who just happened to be five). At almost 10 (gulp), Lightning is still very active, but he has calmed down dramatically from when he was younger. I didn't get Stomps until he was about 5, and he had had a hard life before that, so he's never been as energetic as Lightning. It is GREAT that your puppy has the husky to play with. A husky will wear anything out.

I can't address the odor issue. I think Lightning smells so good, I'd bottle it if I could. Stomps has an oilier coat, and sometimes he has that lovely Fritos smell people talk about here. But I like it. Then again, I like skunk smell (unless it is ON my dogs).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fritos? never heard that one...i thinks it's kind of a popcorn smell...lol specially Louie's paws and when he's been sleeping he gets so darn warm...it's like having a personal hot watter bottle!!

as for the energy part..Louie was a total spaz when we first got him. My husband and I are very laid back people except when we're exercising, so Louie has, over the past couple of months, slowed down and become more like us. We usually walk him twice for 30-40 mins or one big 1 hour walk, depending on weather. We usually don't let the weather get in our way because when we don't walk Louie, the spaz appears and he gets into all kinds of trouble the whole day until he gets rid of his energy. lol..

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd like to find the person that told me Basset's were lazy. He's a liar.

Mine are getting a little less active at 3 1/2 years, but if you ever watch the videos I post, you would think otherwise.

My two have very little hound smell, and they haven't had a real bath for over a year. By the time it gets overbearing, it will rain or snow, and there is their bath. It helps that they love to play in the rain & snow. At times they are soaked.

I do have to do the ear cleaning though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts