Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of those that have used Acepromazine answer me this question:
In how many minutes does Acepromazine start having initial effects after administered and full effects (totally sedated) ? I need to know the span of time between initial effect and full effect. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I believe that can vary by dog, but it would be best to ask your vet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vet prescribed me that and he couldn't give me the answer. He answered me exactly as you said: varies by dog. That is why I asked here in the Basset Hound Forum, because they are supposed to be all Bassets and those who used AcePromazine know the effects it has on them and how long it takes to reach the initial effects.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Just because they're the same breed doesn't mean they'll be affected the same. Heck, it can even vary in effectiveness for the same dog depending on its emotional state at the time of administration.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
We had a hound who would 'fight' the effects of ACP until after the event it was 'needed' for when he'd zonk out!! As suggested, each dog would probably react differently.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
not a fan of ace. Often there is more effective medication without the side effect but they are more specific in what they help. Anxiety/fear OCD etc.

IF perchance you are dealing with noise thunderstorm phobias you might want to look into melatonin, thunder shirt, tt wrap

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/3_5/features/Supplements-For-Anxious-Dogs_5095-1.html

Storm & sound phobias | Fearful Dogs

Dog Anxiety Vest | Shop Dog Anxiety Treatments | ThunderShirt

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/5_12/features/Canine-Body-Wrapping_5506-1.html

Miriam AKA soundtrack uses these in her grooming shop
https://www.adaptil.com/us/Adaptil/Adaptil-Diffuser

Dr. Overall goes over why acepromazine is not good pharmacological
support for thunderstorms or noise phobias.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To calm down the dog

I just need to calm down the dog so that he will allow me to clean his ears. Unfortunately, when I bought him I didn't know he would have ear infections, otherwise I would have trained him to let me clean his ears since he was a pup. He would just not let me put a muzzle on him. So I need to calm him down for a while. I am not a fan of drugs myself but when it comes to a need and there is no other solution, I would resort to the drug for the benefit of the dog.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Rather than having to resort to using that, for ear cleaning, why not try Rescue Remedy in his drinking water, or, as we have in the UK, something like the non-drug Kalm Aid. It seems such a shame to have to use a drug for what is going to be a regular cleaning situation - something that should be done every week :rolleyes:

ps - if he has ongoing ear infection, you really should have your vet do a swab, culture and I/D so he gets the correct treatment. And if worst comes to worst, maybe an aural resection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I gave him one tablet of Acepromazin. Didn't do ANYTHING TO HIM. Absolutely nothing. And to think of all the warnings and scaring advice I got. I will have to ask the vet if the dose can be increased.
So, if this potent drug does not affect him. do you think Kalm Aid or Rescue Remedy will?
I have just ordered a bottle of Kalm Aid to try. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
So, if this potent drug does not affect him. do you think Kalm Aid or Rescue Remedy will?
I have just ordered a bottle of Kalm Aid to try. Thank you.
It may be different where you are, but the Kalm Aid I've bought, and used, comes in tablet form. Not liquid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acepromazine should not be used as a calming medicine for extended periods. A vet botched a surgery and left my dog's leg permanently deformed. they put him on acepromazine and after 4.5 months it caused an enlarged spleen. a normal spleen should be 8-9 inches long and 1/2 in wide. his was 10 inches long and 3-4 inches wide. malpractice on the vet due to she had an xray and didn't tell him and ended up in the ER. symptoms were refusal to eat or drink on his own and pee accidents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts