Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have a lovely little girl called Snoopy. She's just over one year old.

She is well trained (apart from 'come' command), and she does great with the house training.

Now about four months ago my boyfriend started working night shifts from Monday - Thursday night. I am home with her from 6.30 - 8.30 am and from 5pm onwards and he is home from 7am - 7pm. she is left alone from 9am - 3pm but we have a dog walker come in for two hours to take her out whilst my boyfriend is in bed.

Anyway, we've been having a few accidents but just at the weekends when my boyfriend is home at night.

She always sleeps downstairs in her bed alone. but occasionally once or twice a month comes up to bed with us a special treat! and I feel like she gets jealous at the weekends as we are up there together and maybe she feels left out and wants to come up too?

Do any of you think that bassets will do this out of spite or is it just a coincidence? She hasn’t been up in bed with us since Christmas Eve (a Christmas treat for her!!!) but we still had two accidents over this weekend just gone and the one prior.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Clare

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do any of you think that bassets will do this out of spite or is it just a coincidence? She hasn’t been up in bed with us since Christmas Eve (a Christmas treat for her!!!) but we still had two accidents over this weekend just gone and the one prior.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Clare[/quote]

No, it's not spite. Please have her checked for a bladder infection. That could be the problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i definately dont think its a bladder problem. she's fine monday - friday and holds it for a few hours at a time during the day when left alone. i have been logging the accidents on a calendar and she has an accident on a sat/sun when my boyfriend is home. this has been happening for a month or two now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I swear my Snoopy's had accidents to make a point also. We bought a new cat bed for my big ginger manx cat - it's all fluffy and cosy. But Snoopy - the thieving little sod he is - kept relocating it. We kept telling him no, and giving him treats when he managed to walk past the bed without picking it up. But then he caught CharlieCat actually SLEEPING in the bed. He went back after CharlieCat had woken up, and cocked his leg on the cat bed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Louie had several accidents after we boarded him for 11 days when we went to Sweden. It was just a brief time though, and I got the message..."Don't bring me back to that kennel!" I now get a housesitter when we go away!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't anyone try and convince me that dogs don't do things like that out of spite!

When I was at university but still living at home I had an Appenzell Mountain Dog. She was really cute and I was very attached to her. If nobody else was home I would come home, walk her and then maybe go out again. It was never, ever a problem. One evening I came home with a new girlfriend and we took BJ for a walk together. Normal length of walk, etc. Then my girlfriend and I went out for the evening.

When I got home BJ was waiting for me at the door. I made a fuss of her as I usually would and then went to my room. Normally BJ would have gone back to bed, but she followed me to my room and just sat and waited at the door. When I finally got around to getting into bed I felt this warm wet patch right in the middle of the pillow!!! I roared and BJ fled..... Don't tell me that wasn't jealousy and spite!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts