Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago Sunday, I woke up to find Spencer looking like "Spuds," so off to the emergency vet we went. They said he likely had an abscess tooth & put him on antibiotics. We followed up with his regular vet, who agreed with the diagnosis but extended his antibiotics another week because Spencer was still a little swollen. The vet said with any luck, the antibiotics will take care of it, but if he swells again, she recommended removing the tooth. One more thing to worry about!

Here's a pic of my "Spuds."

We've broken a record that has stood since 1914 for the most snow in February. I think the official total so far is 23." Spencer normally loves snow, but this is too much. He has a hard time getting around in it. Here's a picture of Spencer plowing before I got him some paths shoveled. Hurry up spring! ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Poor baby! Feel better soon, dear Spencer. Hope that snow goes away for you soon.
(On a side note, Amy, I can't believe it has been since 2006 since dear Sadie was with us! I caught a glance of your tag line and just about fell off my chair.)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bogie had an abcess tooth a few years ago..Antibiotics cleared it up, but about a year later the same tooth was infected, and the abcess spread up into is face, making the area around his eye swell, so they had to remove it then. Hopefully when Spencers clears up, its gone for good!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mattie & I hope Spencer is feeling better soon. We also home the antibiotics clear up the infection so that the tooth doesn't have to be removed.
On a side note... Amy, I am right with you will the spring time coming early. Here in VA, where Mattie and I live we are sicking of seeing snow. Still have the snow from a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor Spencer! He looks cute, even with a swollen mouth. I just went through this with Lightning. The tooth turned out to be cracked, so they had to take it out. Luckily everything went as hoped and he's fine. I hope the antibiotics are all Spence needs.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hope that handsome boy feels better soon. He does look cute, it looks like he's been eathing marshmallows. =) We had to take Lily to the EVet 2 years ago I believe for a swollen face. They too thought it was an absessed (sp?) tooth. Once they shined the light in her mouth I was the one to notice that she had a stick lodged in the roof of her mouth...nothing wrong with the teeth...she still had to go on antibiotics for the infection the stick caused...yuck!

I, in VA, am sick of snow too! Come on Spring...(and for the teachers on the board...Summer!!!)

~Heather

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good wishes for Spencer. The swelling is finally gone & he looks "normal" again. ;) We'll keep our fingers crossed the swelling doesn't return.

bcc11 - yes, it is hard to believe it will be 4 years in June since Sadie made her trip to the Bridge, and still, not a day goes by that I don't think about & miss her.

Heather, I remember your posts when that happened to Lily, & I am a teacher & yes, I am waiting for summer! We used our last "calamity day" yesterday because of the snow. If we get any more off, we have to make them up. I'm hoping we don't, because this year, we get out BEFORE Memorial Day. That has never happened & I am looking forward to it. I'd hate to have to make up days. BUT, they are predicting another snowstorm for this weekend. They keep going between Sat & Sun night. I'm hoping for Sat. If it comes Sun night, we'll probably be off Monday - :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts