Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quite the mix of topics but they are kind of interelated.

I am pretty sure that B.Basset is about to test me on the twice daily muzzling to do ears and work on other issues. He has a hard muzzle that I have been able to put on him easily by putting a treat in the bottom, then being both patient and basset stubborn myself about not giving up until he willingly puts his nose in. Yesterday he turned around and went back into his crate when I showed him the muzzle, so I shut him in and left him to think about it. When I tried again about 30 mins later he was co-operative. I try to vary the reward and the activities that follow putting the muzzle on. Sometimes just doing his ears and taking it off, sometimes walking him with the mini poodle sometimes by himself, sometimes letting him roam freely in the building (which he otherwise doesn't get to do), sometimes just cuddling him. He's making it quite clear he doesn't like wearing the muzzle. His behaviour changes to sad basset who isn't enthusiastic about life, not quite flat basset but a variation of it.

He's not fighting the ear drops at all. The other day he actually put his head on my lap when I folded his ear back and waited for me to do the drops and massage the ear. I think I could put drops in his ears without the muzzle, but why take chances if I don't have to? On the other hand perhaps it would prevent a battle of wills over the muzzle.

It looks to me like I need to start cleaning the underside of his ears and I'm not sure what to use. Given his issues I need to start with doing just the inside at the tip of his ears and work up to doing the whole ear (and then eventually real ear cleaning). Does anyone use a cloth with warm water perhaps with baking soda or salt? or do you prefer ear cleaning solution or something else? He goes for a night's boarding at the vets again tomorrow because I think I have found a 4-ever home for the 14 year old mini poodle foster!!! I'm sure the clinic staff will have opinions about what I can use.

One of our cats has decided he really likes B. Basset and it seems to be mutual. I am wondering about how risky it is for the cat to do things like play with B.'s ears when he nips people if startled and defensive. If the cat gets the idea he can play with B. Basset and startles him awake is B. going to be likely to snap? Currently I am limiting the contact to times when B. is on the lead or muzzled and he is wagging and intiating the interaction. he has no history of aggression with animals other than dogs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Re: the cat question, I've yet to meet a cat that didn't get the upper hand with a basset. My sweet Stomps did not like my cat and would occasionally snap at him, but it was obviously just a warning as he never really put his heart into it. Regardless, I always made sure the cat had an escape route in case he needed it. Lightning and the cat play like two puppies--it's so funny to see--but sometimes Lightning gets a little overzealous, so even though Stomps is ATB, I still make sure the cat can get away from Lightning if he wants to.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I've yet to meet a cat that didn't get the upper hand with a basset
It is highly vairiable but most of the time rests in the behavior of the cat those that run get chased.

If the cat gets the idea he can play with B. Basset and startles him awake is B. going to be likely to snap?
Yest but keep in mind a snap is a snap in that no contact is intended an no contact is made. The though that human pulled away qickly enough to avoid it is not accurate if the intent was to bite their would be a bite. it is important to keep aggressive acts in contact

He has a hard muzzle
You may want to consider a soft muzzle to use for temporary situations. They general allow enough jaw movement to take nibble of small treates so in situations like you describe where you want to be able to reward the dog while being protected they work well. The do not allow for pant ect so are not a go idea for time the dog may be exercising etc. Also keep in mind you whant to maintain a higher rate of nothing bad ie ear cleaning, poodle crossing happing when the muzzle is on so that 3 or 4 time during the day just to put the muzzle on reward and remove. When he can no acurrate predict if and when the muzzle will be use for occasion he does not like it will be less of a battle to put on.

You do not want to use a 100% water solution on the ear as it will tend to promote infection. If there are no cuts etc rubbing alcohol works well and is the major dyring ingredient in many commercial ear cleaners even though it is mildly otic toxic, another common over the counter item that works well and can be less irritating then alcohol is witch Hazel. You can also mix in up to 50% distilled only white vinegar (acetic acid) which is antimicrobial and particular good at controling yeast/fungus if it is just cleaning and you are looking for convienience baby wipes work well as do the wipes made specifical for dogs but are general more expensive. These same thing work for other areas basset tend to pick up yeast infections arm pits, between the toes, lip folds etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts