Basset Hounds Forum banner

abcessed anal glands

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Hub's 
#1 ·
Murray's right anal gland abcessed at the end of May- the vet flushed it with saline, packed it with antibiotics, and put him on a 10 day course of Clavamox. Last night we discovered that his left gland has abcessed: same course of treatment.Murray gets sweet potatoes with skins and brown rice with each meal to increase fiber, the vet says we are doing all the right things, and that some dogs just have these problems. I am afraid if this continues he is headed for surgery, which I really want to avoid. Has anyone out there had a basset with chronic abcessing anal glands? Can anyone offer any input here? Thanks-

#2 ·
Perhaps changing to a different fiber source might be helpful, along with expressing his glands more frequently. However, recurrent infections, despite appropriate diet and treatment, are one of the indications for anal gland surgery.

For more information,

The Anal Sacs Page (Mar Vista Animal Medical Center)

Anal sac impaction, anal sacculitis, anal sac abscess (VetCentric)

[ July 07, 2004, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

#4 ·
Biscuit had a horrible time with his anal glands until I began adding homemade *doggie stews* :)

I think Betsy's right --- you might need to vary the kind of fiber. I never liked the high fiber doggie foods -- it's much cheaper, easier and (I think) healthier to give them a good dose of brown rice or lentils cooked with veggies. It's easy to do if you have a crockpot or (!) a George Foreman Lean Mean Roasting Machine (which cooks the concoction in no time flat! I had Biscuit on that exclusively for several months, then went back to leaving dry food down at all times. I know a bit more about doggie nutrition these days and would now always have dry food available, in order to ensure the pups get the proper nutrition.

Good luck with your poor little pup!

#5 ·
Thanks Biscuit- I will start tonight with the stew you recommended and hope the added variety of fiber does the trick. Murray is a poor risk for surgery due to his on-going allergies and past bad reactions to drugs and innoculations- he had a really hard time recovering when he was neutered, and the thought of any more anesthesia really scares me. And I just might try some of that stew myself!

#6 ·
He! I've had people sneaking into the doggie stew before! :)

In any case, I buy huge quantities of broccoli whenever I find it on sale - the pups run to the refrigerator whenever I open it, in the hopes of getting a stalk of broccoli --- then Lady goes and hides to devour her treat, while Yogi parades around proudly with his broccoli for quite a while before settling down to eat.

You might try seeing if Murray is the same about the broccoli --- also raw carrots! Not sure bananas would help the anal gland situation much but they possess other benefits. :D

G
#8 ·
Oh, biscuit, you are such a hippie! Even your dogs are crunchy-granola :)
But Murray's Mom, she's right about the fiber-laoding. I've had a horrible time with His Majesty's anal sacs and canned pumpkin, added to his kibble has worked for us every time. I alternate with cans of beans ( I buy them precooked from Goya but you have to watch the salt so I soak them in water and strain them out.)
Fran doesn't tolerate canned dog food at all, he impacts within a meal or two so I now keep a sack of kibble in the trunk of my car in a Tupperware container) I express his anal sacs myself. I feel it's helped us bond. :D

[ July 08, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Beverly Anne Cawley ]

#9 ·
Thanks Beverly- I am using everyone's information and as of last night Murray has become my 'Fiber Project'- he had Biscuit's stew for dinner and breakfast this morning, and when I left the house a while ago he was munching on a carrot. I really appreciate everyone's help.

G
#11 ·
Biscuit, I tried broccoli on Franny last night and he gave me such a look of confusion that I laughed out loud. I steamed it a little and mixed it up with his kibble then put it on the floor. He walked up to it and sniffed, then he looked at me. I said, "C'mon puppy-love, it's good!" He sniffed it again and cocked his head, sniffed it again and started to cautiously nibble at the kibble. Have you ever heard a dog do "Ptooeey"? When he walked away, his bowl area looked like the site of some kind of broccoli war: "Agincourt of Broccoli" It looked like fallen "trees" and small "rocks" all over the place. :D
I'm still laughing because usually Franny operates like some kind of canine vacuum. :roll:

#12 ·
I've never had a dog that buys raw carrots as a goody. I tried with my puppy recently, leaving her with a small, baby carrot. I returned to find innumerable smaller carrot pieces scattered around the kitchen floor. :roll:

G
#14 ·
While researching Bassets, it seemed as if they ALL LOVED carrots.

The first treat I tried on Hub was a baby carrot. He politely carried it around the corner, set it down, and looked back like, "Thanks, but are you serious?!?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.