Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after all the talk about fencing, we had a very close call this morning at 4:30! Sometimes Elmer sleeps in the Living Room. Button always follows us to bed and usually Elmer will come in sometime during the night, but this morning at 4:30, I heard a road noise, and Button took off to the other end of the house barking and running. (We have a dog door) This happens sometimes, and usually he will satisfy his curiosity, do his business and come back to our room to bed. I laid there for about 10 minutes and when he didn't come back, I got worried (not sure why, usually I just go back to sleep!) So I made hubby get up and come to the other end of the house with me (he wasn't happy) and neither dog was inside. I opened the sunroom doors, turned on the airport lights :rolleyes: in our backyard and called and called. Finally, Button came running inside. After calling Elmer for about 5 minutes, we got flashlights, and went out there. He was gone! Then we saw that during the night a storm had broken a branch on a tree in their yard and it had fallen and broken out one of the vinyl fence slats, just enough width for them to slip thru! I started crying and praying and we shut Button in the house and got into two cars to go look for him. I saw hubby's truck stop at the end of our driveway, and he got out and came back carrying Elmer! (The boiled chicken in the fridge is good bait)
We were sooooo grateful to have found him so quickly and that my intuition got me up to go look. While Button never goes far if he gets out, Elmer is our wandering one. He gave my Mom a mile long chase one day when he got out on her.

So now I'm wishing that I had done the whole yard in chain link like hubby suggested, but I was trying to make it look nice. Guess I'll close the dog door when it storms from now on. I'll probably line the whole perimeter with that mesh fencing that you mount on the stakes. We will look like a state prison, but my boys will be safe! Here are some pics of the damages, and them relaxing safe and sound afterwards. Sorry for the long story!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Wow! I can't believe he found that one little place and took off! What an escape artist! I'm so glad he's back safe and sound!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is safe now.
About 2 years ago I had a branch fall down and take out a full 8 foot section of wood picket fence, but it was between the dog pen and the rest of the back yard, so the hounds couldn't go too far.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Omigoodness! I would have been so worried. I'm glad to hear everyone is safe.

~Heather

·
Registered
360 Posts
Always go with that instinct. I get lots of flack about it but I frequently get up and look for Dixie when I've heard her go out the doggie door at night. ESPECIALLY when it's storming or windy. We had a close call ...she fell in the pool during a storm. My husband ran out and grabbed her and all was fine. She had become disoriented and went off her usual path across the patio.

Even if I'm half asleep, I still sort of wait with one eye and one ear open to make sure I hear her come back inside. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm glad you found him quickly.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I don't think anything is absolutely fool-proof. Just thank goodness your instincts kicked in as well as they did and your boy is home safe and sound!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's official! We are now running Kilmarnock Town doggie prison! After the tree limb scare, I went and bought the green heavy wire fence the same height as our vinyl fencing and we lined the entire inside of the vinyl fence with that using cable ties. I'm sooo wishing I'd done the chain link all the way round, since I've messed up the looks of a 3K fence with this wire fence, but I feel so much better knowing that we are doubly protected. The dog door goes down at night now too. One bonus of the wire fence liner is that it keeps small animals and skunks out too. I had to leave a little opening for the chihuahua acorss the street though. He loves to play with my boys! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It may not be as pretty, but at least you know your boys are safer!

~Heather

1 - 9 of 9 Posts