Basset Hounds Forum banner

A tribute to Duke..(NOT sad)

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  EccentricGirl42 
#1 ·
I would like to tell you about my dog Duke. Well, he actually started out as my son's dog, but you know how it is. Kids move out and on, and the next thing you know, he becomes 'your' dog.

Duke was a Basset Hound, which means he had some traits that other dog breeds lack. Such as being stubborn, self centered, disobedient, disloyal (when food is at stake) and a thief. He couldn't be trusted alone for a minute around food. If he could reach it, it was to be his at all costs.

An example of this was when my grandkids were here for a visit one weekend. I set out three bowls of Corn Flakes one morning, on the kitchen table, with no milk on them yet (this is significant).

I went downstairs for just a minute, and when I came back I up, I caught him up on the chair, gobbling up the last of the bowls. He jumped down upon seeing me, and dashed under the table. Before I could even scold him, he let out a resounding WOOF at me! Dry Corn Flakes spewed everywhere! But he wasn't done yet, he quickly gobbled them up again, making sure I couldn't clean them up before he did. It was pretty funny, but he showed NO remorse what so ever.

He also thought the bed belonged to him and me. He battled with my husband many a night, to see who got the pillow. Duke and I went to bed one night, and when my husband came to turn in later, he said, "Duke, off the bed". To which Duke replied "Urrrr".
Keith repeated himself two more times, and so did Duke. Finally my husband said, "Oh, to hell with it", and went to the couch. Duke settled right down for a good night's sleep. I was very tired, and never really saw the humor of the situation until the next morning.

There are many endearing moments, like the time he drank an entire beer that a guest had set down, when we had a barbeque. He provided us with entertainment afterwards, rolling around on the grass. moaning and barking. He slept it off.

Duke is no longer with us, except in our hearts. His remains are now in a little bronze container, engraved with his name. Maybe someday they will be scattered somewhere that has special significance. His tags are on my son's key chain. This little tribute is my way of mourning him, I guess. Goodbye Duke, sleep peacefully little buddy.

PS: My son said Duke should be at the bridge in about 6 months. He's sniffing everything along the way... :)

Sandy

See less See more
G
#4 ·
That was beautiful Sandy. Only we who love Bassets can appreciate the things we miss about them when they're gone. It may not have been meant to be sad, but my eyes weren't dry when I was done reading it.

Judy

G
#6 ·
That was a great tribute. It was really touching and I never knew Duke but I now have a very good idea of how he truely touched you alls lives. Every time I read one of these it makes me think of the special things my hounds do that I take for granite everyday. So thank you for making me appreciate my hounds a little more.

And my favorite part was at the end when you said he'd be at the bridge in 6 months. That really made me chuckle.

#7 ·
What a great tribute! Something I could not help but notice is that while only a few days have passed, you have the ability to color your memories with humor. Having lost our hound puppy January 2, it is still very difficult to deal with what seemed like such an unfair and early demise. But, with time our memories tend to the happier times; I think that is a sign of healthy healing. For all of us the sadness of the loss remains, albeit fades with time, and the appreciation of what our good buddies have given us grows. It was truly painful to read what you went through with Duke; it's also uplifting to see healing begin. For the life of me, I cannot understand how people who aren't into pets don't nderstand we who do grieve these funny, loving, and yes, at times exasperating companions. Nothing like 'em. Our kids are grown and gone and more than ever we just have to have at least one, if not two, of these wonderful surrogate children around. My wife thinks we ought to MAYBE try something besides a Basset for a change, but I'm having nothing of that!

Thanks for sharing your pain and your brightening memories; I think it helps us all as I'm sure it does you. Best of luck...

#8 ·
We're a strange family. We seem to have the ability to laugh through our tears sometimes. I think it's just our way of coping. I think talking about Duke's goofiness helps us to smile too.

I have cried so much these last few days. I just allow the tears to flow. Think that helps too.

I miss him so badly, but the support from friends (on line :) and off) has helped greatly. Everyone knows how much Duke meant to us, and feel bad too.

Sandy

#9 ·
I can just see the corn flakes flying! That is such a funny and warm memory of Duke!

I love remembering the silly things my doberman Pippin would do, and I miss a loud mouth cockatiel whistling Dixie at the top of his little lungs!

#11 ·
ah rats, double posted and tried to remove it...didn't work.....sorry

G
#12 ·
That was so wonderful and so funny and so true about our beloved Bassets!

When Emily died my husband wrote down a tribute to her at work one day and brought it home and it just really helped us both to read it and re-live our wonderful times with her and hoping this does the same to you and your family!

Have been thinking of you this week and keeping you all in my prayers!

Kathy

G
#15 ·
Oh, Sandy, what a beautiful tribute. I sat and read and cried again. I think the tears for Bubba are over, but then we lose another wonderful hound on the forum and here I go blubbering again. The pain is leaving and the wonderful funny memories do remain. Bogie and his funny puppy antics have really helped as I'm sure having Bo around does for your family. My son always said that Bassets are clowns in a fur coat, and what wonderful memories they give us. I'm sure Duke and Bubba are hip to hip sniffing their way to the bridge.

#18 ·
I'm sorry Sandy, but I just can't believe that Duke could possibly have done those things. ;) I looked back through some of the pictures that you have posted of him, and he just looks so sweet and innocent that I cannot imagine him stealing food or hogging the bed.

It's nice to know that even though he's not with you anymore, he can still put a smile on your face. What a nice tribute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.