Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend Marilyn Brazzle, housemother of House of Puddles (www.houseofpuddles.org) just accepted two senior boys from Kentucky from a severe neglect situation, who were about to be euthanized at a shelter. One boy, Hermey, is settling in great with the other bassets (16 total right now, plus 1 Treeing Walker Coonhound) but the other boy, Rudolph, isn't doing well in this environment.

Marilyn sent out a plea for help to her friends and other basset lovers who subscribe to House of Puddles' newsletter. I am cross-posting her message, with her permission, to Cyberhound in case anyone here within 150 miles of Frederick, Maryland would be willing to consider adopting Rudolph or accepting him as a permanent foster. You can see Rudolph here: http://houseofpuddles.org/rudolphs_page.htm Rudolph is great with people and with submissive female dogs but not males. He has not been child- or cat-tested.

Marilyn says: HELP! We Need a Foster Home for Rudolph!

To put it mildly, Rudolph does not play well with others. I have dealt with many dogs who have issues with living with other dogs, but never as bad as it is with Rudolph. He walks around growling at the others all the time and frequently starts fights. It is especially bad with Jeeps, the coonhound and poor old Gus. I cannot let Rudolph loose in the house without close supervision and a spray bottle of water in my hand, so he usually stays in my bedroom behind a baby gate or crated. When I let him out, I have to put Gus and Jeeps somewhere else. The constant discord is very upsetting to the other old hounds, too. They are all afraid of Rudolph.

Rudolph is very sweet with people. He loves to be hugged and stroked and he likes to stay close to me. He's also a very handsome boy with a solid red coat - not a bit of white on him. He's a very calm dog when he's not around the other hounds and usually pretty quiet. On the down side, he does mark in the house, something that's hard for me to watch for and correct with all the other hounds around. That should lessen once he's neutered.

Rudolph would be a great companion dog in an adult household. He has not been child-tested. I haven't noticed him fighting with any of my old girls so he might be OK with a non-aggressive female. The foster home needs to be within about a 100-150 mile radius of Frederick, MD, so that I can easily retrieve him if he doesn't work out for any reason. That would include the areas of southeastern PA, MD, VA, DE, WV and DC.

If you or anyone you know could help us out by being a long-term/permanent foster for Rudolph, I and the other Hoppers would be eternally grateful. HOP will pay for all his medical expenses, which will include completing his heartworm treatment, neutering, dental and whatever else he might need. You can email [email protected].

I met Rudolph this weekend and I can attest that he is one of the handsomest and sweetest, cuddliest bassets I have ever met. He wants to be a lapdog but not to share that lap (or home) with other boy dogs. I saw him flirt with one girl basset and cuddle on a bed with another, so he seems to be OK with gentle girls.

-Melynda
IP

·
Registered
289 Posts
I wish I could take him, I might be open to some sort of temporary arrangement. It would be nice to visit the house of puddles.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Vision - if you can do anything I know that it would be the best present Marilyn could recieve. She keeps having fights between several of the males and it's a depressing situation for all involved.

The problem seems to be only with males - but of course I can't guarentee that!

Rudolph is a real love bug, according to all the humans who know him, and he deserves a home where he will be loved.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do think the problem is only with boys. He fights with Jeeps, the Walker hound, who is aggressive, and with Gus and Hermey, neither of whom has been neutered yet since they're undergoing heartworm treatment. He completely ignored Katy when she growled at him, and Laverne who growled too. And he flirted with Becky and Lilly. He tried to flirt with Lucien--I guess he thought Lucien was too pretty to be a boy. ;)

If anyone on here near Frederick would be willing to try, we will get Rudolph over to you and pick him back up right away if it doesn't work out. He is so incredibly handsome and so, so sweet. All he wanted to do was hide his head in my chest and get pets and kisses. But he is making a very dangerous and stressful situation for Marilyn so he needs to get out of there ASAP.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Spoke with Marilyn this morning. I have a few concerns; her issue is that Rudolph cannot be left alone for 8 hours while I work.

I'm thinking of taking him for the weekend and looking into how much a dog walker would be. I'm thrilled and believe I'm nuts at the same time.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Vision I hope it all works out...keep us updated!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
All pawsies are crossed here, Vision! From everything I know about Rudolph he is a total love bug! I think he will make some human so very, very happy!

I can't even consider taking him because I have other males and live 2,000 miles away but I am so hoping someone on the Boards will take him so I can at least "live" with him through cyberspace!

I think a weekend trial is a great idea.

Out of curiosity - and it's none of my business so I won't be offended if you don't feel like you should answer - why does Marilyn feel he shouldn't be left alone while you are at work?

·
Registered
43 Posts
As I have mentioned before I rescued Ruby at 2 1/2 yrs. and also I am owner #3. When Ruby first moved in I would lay out my ironed uniform on my bed to go to work. She would lie on top of it and make her teeth chatter because she was so, so stressed. Neighbours said she barked the whole time I was at work (8hrs.). When I arrived home she had always defecated & urinated on the floor.

I had no choice but to ask one of my co-workers if her daughters would be up to looking after Ruby in their home while I was at work. So, for $100 per mo. the girls would pick Ruby up from work, walk her to their place and at 11pm I would pick her up. The funny part of the story was the father of the family was an R.C.M.P. member and he would often trade off who brought her back to the hospital. They cop would arrive saying they had a dangerous offender in the back of the squad car. The three kids were teenagers and she would go from one kids bed, cross the hallway and sleep with another. Ruby was so much happier and when the kids moved away six mo. later she was so much settled at home. It was well worth the money spent on her.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Out of curiosity - and it's none of my business so I won't be offended if you don't feel like you should answer - why does Marilyn feel he shouldn't be left alone while you are at work?[/b]
She believes 8 hours is too long for an old dog to wait to to relieve themselves.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Vision-Please let us know how it works out for you and Rudolph. What a wonderful thing you are going to do for this boy. He sure is handsome.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We have a college student that comes by to check on our dogs on long work days. I pay her $10 a day- which isn't much... but she's just here for a bit. The dogs love her (well, except Indy who doesn't like many people). Hopefully you can find some arrangement that will work for both of you. By all acconts he sounds like a sweet boy!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Because of scheduling problems I'm picking him up tomorrow morning and dropping him off Sunday night.

I've bassetized the apartment which includes a wonderfully comfortable bed I could easily use as a pillow. Can't wait to see what happens. A part of me is a little negative. He's so beautiful and old, he must really have some negative personality traits. I'm not sure how to deal with the marking. Will get a spray bottle and some treats to enforce going outside.

I'll post pictures and will probably need advice at some point. This is my first time taking care of a basset which has been a life long dream so I'm happy.

Thanks everyone, I'm trying.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts