Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks you all ,I know Jen is still dealing with the loss of Flash ,those of us who have experienced loss like this know how hard it is to come back to where it all seemed to take place and is so real.Wait for Jen's post ,when she can bring herself to write it and post pictures you will know how special she really is.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Thank you again Bubba for yet another gentle push to get me going. I came on a while ago to post a little something about our new baby and that’s when I saw the news that Molly only had a short time to be with her momma and that her momma was going to post updates of her progress. I froze and had to close my laptop and was afraid to come back and look again. Every time I thought about coming on I thought about Molly and her mom posting updates and relived all my last days with my Flasher and just didn’t have it in me stay online. I tried one other time around the time Worm was attacked but I’m sorry Worm – I knew I had to let Molly’s mom know I was thinking and praying for her but again – I sat looking at the screen not knowing what to say. Finally last night when Bubba suggested I come online again last night –I was able to get through the posting for Molly and Worm – but by then I was completely drained and just had to get off.

A friend told me it might help if I closed out Flasher thread with a little photo tribute of happier healthy times with her – I’m going to try it – but as of yet I really can’t look through old photos of her. Hell, I can’t even spend any time in my office without her – the silence of not hearing her snore behind me rings in my ears – I keep turning around to make sure she’s ok only to find her bed missing. My goal is to get into my office for an extended amount of time after Labor Day. Please wish me luck.

First I wanted to say a big thanks to you all – I was able to get a few laughs out loud through my tears of your great detective work. If Babba supplies the noodles – I’ll make a big batch of gravy (sauce) for all. And even throw in some meatballs for all the little hound dogs.

Now on to the actual topic of this posting. Our new daughter. How blessed was I that Flasher brought me to this site and to Babba who just happened to have a baby girl for me to love. Originally her name was going to be Florence or Flo. But… After one day with her I realized that wasn’t going to work because she was going to grow up thinking her name was “no – no” - try saying Flo – No a few times fast. Not a good combination. And as it turned out – it was a blessing. What I really wanted was to have Julie Allen (Flash’s doctor) involved in the process but at the same time I wanted to surprise her and the way it worked out I got both. We surprised her when I said I was making an appointment for Rickie – when it was really our new girl I took to see her. And when I needed to change the name – I sent her a text asking her to give me a few names for our girl – so Dr. Allen is the one that named our new baby “Mabel”

We’re still going to use Florence for her papers – with her full name “Florence The Machine” – she has a song “Dog Days Are Over” here’s a link of her playing it on Letterman. When you hear the song it’s a happy song – when our daughter comes over hubby will put it on and they do the snoopy dance to it – it’s good for a lot of laughs with Lucy jumping around barking at them to stop. It’s also the song I played all the times I took Flash to the vet – because it is an upbeat song – and I’d tell Flasher how all the dog days are gone baby and we’re going to get that nasty bump out of you and you all better. Anyway, I thought since my Flasher brought me to find our new baby I wanted her tied to her in a tangible way. So it appears we have the best of both worlds – Flasher will be part of her paper name and Julie Allen was part of her everyday name.

Link to the song "Dog Days are Over"

Hopefully sooner than later I’ll be ready to tell you all about her – but right now I’m still hurting too much and still feel lost without my Flasher. I’m trying to work through everything and Mable has been a great distraction with how busy she keeps me. If Flashers goal was to find a puppy to keep me going every waking hour she couldn’t have found a better pup than Mabel who let me say – NEVER stops unless she is passed out cold. If there’s something to get into she’s into it. She’s smart as a whip and has absolutely no fear – which can be a dangerous combination especially when she has a big sister basset named Lucy that looks at her like lunch. And a brother shipoo that curses the day she was born. I just keep the baby gates up all day – and only let them by each other at night or I would go completely crazy with Lucy’s constant barking at her. I’ve been able to get some of it on tape that I’ll upload to youtube soon.

If I could only pick one thing that I love about Mabel, it’s when I’m sitting on the floor with her playing with all her toy that are spread out around us – and I’m deep in thought usually thinking about Flash when full speed she comes running up my legs, up my chest and wraps her paws around my neck covering me in kisses then puts her head down and goes to sleep in my arms. It makes all the craziness that’s going on around me trying to bring all my kids together worth it.

Thank you again Babba for the push and for helping me through this hellish time. And once again to everyone else – Flash sure did know what she was doing when she brought me to this site… You’re the best!

Hugs,
Jen

Here are a few photos of our little Tasmanian Devil / Love Bucket – depending on what she’s into :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
She is ADORABLE!!!!

And I am in love with her name, Mabel.

Furthermore...the song is perfect and in fact I added it to my blog "tunes" last week.

Keep coming back. I can't imagine the pain in losing Flash even though I cry with you, but I truly believe that the jagged edges of pain will soon be softened by Mabel's drool and the new adventures she will take you on. Keep coming back.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wish my little hellion would go to sleep in my arms!GEEESH! Page is a wild woman sometimes, but she will give me a nose nudge,this is where she runs at me like she is going to mow me down and ever so softly hits her nose to mine,soft as a kiss,then takes back off to play.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
She is beautiful! I love her name, too.

Thanks, Jen, for taking a chance and opening up your heart and soul to us. Many, many happy year with Mabel.

(Boomer wants extra cheese, please, thankyouverymuch.)

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh those pics are sooo cute! What a little doll!

You know, I haven't lost yet....but I have to admit that seeing some of the stories on here, and the pain people have gone through, really really makes me fear for when it's Bowser's time. I've only had him a little over a year, and i honestly and truly can't imagine ever being without him, and the thought of it chokes me up and hurts. I really understand, though it's hard to comprehend, the loss some of you have had.
I"m so glad little Mable brings a smile to your face!
and she is a CUTIE. Please do try to come back more. You're not alone! And you do have that new baby to spoil us with pictures with : )

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Don't worry yourself now.Enjoy every second you have with him .It happens to everyone sooner or later and there is no way to prepare yourself for what you will experience.Live in the moment.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hello Mrs. Houndmamma,

Congratulations on Mabel!!! whatta beut. such nice sad eyes and wrinkles. yes, we finally figured it out after Bubbad dropped some hints. how exciting! esp to continue hearing about this hound that we've seen since, well, while she was still in Mum's tum (i made a rhyme!).

And Bubbad, you've been so supportive! nice to hear about what happened with each of your hound babies. so interesting and exciting. and since u don't give your pups to just anyone (we're sure u checked out Flash's mom), we know this was a well thought-out situation that makes a lot of sense and is most likely going to be very positive for Ms. Mable.

Bowsah-- my person says it's been an interesting experience to have me. that although fun and tiring and frustrating at times ('cause, ya know, i can be that way), it's also been somber and sad and a reminder to "Carpe Diem!" like Bubbad says.

First of all with the forum-- seems like a lot of posters are either the ones with the new puppies (like us, looking for advice for what to do!) or those w/dogs at the end of life. so while we were learning lots about us basset puppies, there was a constant reminder of how short our basset lives are, with each posting of another basset seriously sick or going to the bridge. We've been on here only since earlier this year, and i'm sure have heard of a dozen+ bassets who have gone to the bridge.

Then with my evening playgroup of 12-15 dogs: 1 lady lost her basset just a month before i showed up and was soooo excited to see me. i was her healing basset. then i already lost 2 pals that i played with before: Parker, a chocolate lab, and Fezzig, a Bernese mountain dog. that's only been since ~Feb/March.

yeah, so there are constant sobering reminders about not taking life (with me!) for granted. doggie lives are really short, but peeple lives are short too. i hope everyone is doing what they want to be doing in the way they want to. every day.

Mrs. Houndmamma-- sorry my thread was so depressing! i got attacked, but i am all bettah now. it's all good. and i gotta really nice group of evening playgroup friends from it who watch my back real good.

we r glad u r here, even tho Flash left a basset-sized hole in your heart. i miss Flashie too, but i like the Angel Flashie avatar pic of her. and i also liked the black & white pic of her and you.

--your friend, Worm

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wworm you are so kind and intelligent we value you as a contributer here. I did not need to do a lot of homework on Houndsmomma she pretty much opened up herself here in this forum.You can tell much about a person the way they talk about their dogs.I secretly hoped that if anything did happen to Flash that I would have a puppy left to offer her if she chose to go that way. Losing any animal considered a family member is a travesty and the grieving process can be long and hard.It isn't something you get over and get on with your life kinda thing.I know losing Bubba for me was like losing a part of my identity,and it took a very long time for me to feel emotionally better when he died.You cannot hurry the process. What you can do is do things you find comforting and mean something to you.I found a site I could put a memorial of Bubba on,with photos and whatever I wanted to say about him.I wrote a poem to him.I made a photo album of him and Grace. He passed in 2002 and not a day goes by I don't think of him,but ,it is ok now. You just need to concentrate on every good thing left after all the bad is done.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Thanks everyone for sharing in the joy of our new little girl. I hope after the Labor Day weekend to start a thread on here with some photos and videos. Maybe I should say after we get through the dental surgery Lucy has scheduled on Wednesday the 7th. I think till I get my old gal back home safe and well – I’ll be a basket case. I’m already starting to worry about taking my 12 year old gal for surgery. At least I’m not having to walk back into the same place Flash had her last surgery when we take Lucy. She’ll be going to see Dr. Brown in our Clinic. And when we pick her up Mabel will be going with me for another check up and “ouch” shot. I can hear Lucy already – (PLEASE – GIVE ME A BREAK – you had to bring her here also? – can I go anywhere to get away from that pup?)

Bubbad – I couldn’t have described it better the way she runs up to “mow me down” - it must be a “family trait” they have ha? Maybe you can get her to do it after she’s been playing for a long time and she’ll just pass out in your arms.

Worm – you’re such a fun loving adventurous little guy and I so enjoy reading about all your antics – when I saw you were attacked my heart sank. I was so afraid it would change the little hound we’ve all grown to love reading about. I’ve seen it happen many a time. I grew up in a family where we trained German Shepherd’s then gave them back to the family’s (after we trained them to continue working with their dogs). We always had at least five at the house at a time. So I’ve seen firsthand how scary a dog fight can be and how it can emotionally scar the dog that’s been attacked. By the time I came back online and posted to your thread I was so happy to see that you’re already back in your play group and still the fun loving guy we love. I’m glad you like Flashers Angel avatar picture. I felt I had to do something special for her.

You’re all correct – Mabel in no way replaces Flash – she never could and it would be too much for me to ask of her. What she has been is a great distraction and someone to love and hold onto while I grow to love her a little more each day. She’s finding her own space in my heart right next to Flash, not in the same place.

Today is a painful day for us – it marks four weeks ago today that I lost my little girl Flash. My goal was to come online here and take part of activity. Proud to say that through I’ve broken down a number of times, I was able to post to a few threads. And get this. I’m doing it for the first time since I lost her in my office and I have company with me. To my left is Little Rickie sleeping soundly, to my right is Lucy sleeping soundly and directly behind me is Mabel sleeping soundly. For all the time I’ve been online not a peep from anyone. When Lucy first came in and saw Mabel she kinda gave me a “you gotta be kidding me look” - but then just plopped down to flat basset, and has been sleeping since. I just have to keep telling myself “baby step”

Bubbad – I forgot to add – I like the idea you gave me about writing Flasher a letter – although I’m sure it’ll be more like a book by the time I get done with it knowing me. But maybe it’ll do me good. I also found the letter from the clinic where I lost her at regarding the support group. I’ve never been to one before, but maybe, just maybe – this might be a good thing for me to go to.

Boomer – you get your extra cheese – with the noodles, sauce and meatballs for the hounds

Annie – you’re so right – the pain is so deep that it does feel like jagged edges ripping me apart. I’m just trying to keep one foot in front of the other till one day I can smile instead of cry when I think of her. I know the day will come.

Jen~

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just try to come up with things I think may help you deal, there was not anyone around to do that for me when Bubba died and I do not want you to have to deal alone. I'm glad you can be in your office again.

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh houndmama...writing flash a letter brought a lump to my throat. I think that actually might help though...just pour it out. I know that's how I am...i wrote my grandpa after he died, and that really did help.
We went on our vacation to australia for 3 weeks, and while we were gone i wrote in a journal TO bowser of every day of our trip : ) I sent him a letter at my parents house (where he was staying) too! made me feel a little bit like he was involved, or i guess like he was still a part of my day.

it's going to take time, but i hope you find that healing comes a little quicker each day. Not that it will ever be 100% better, but you know what I mean *hugs!*

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm so glad you have a new puppy. I know it will not take the place of Flash but it sure can start to fill up an empty hole. It sure did with me when I lost my first Basset, it took me three months of not having one and when I did things got better. Before that I would hear her running down the hall and turn to look at her only to find an empty hall way. Oh how the mind plays tricks on us.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts