Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have so enjoyed are baby Woody (now 8 months) that daddy (to my suprise) mentioned that he would like to get a sister for Woody...we would like to rescue. I am so excited but torn...of course I have been looking at Ohio basset rescue sites and have seen 2 beautiful girls I would love to call mine..but like my own 2 legged children I feel like I might be rushing his baby time.....So, from those of you with 2 (or more) furry brothers and sisters....has it been a great choice or is it something I should wait on????

I do have the time and money to spoil another baby so that's not the question....just if it is a good decision for Woody?

Thanks for everyones thoughts..

Kristi (Woody's proud mom)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I do love them when they are babies, no matter how long it take to potty train, no matter how many newspapers they tear up, so I wouldn't rush it for the world.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Woody-- you luckydog, you! i hear you might get a sis (or a live-in girlfriend) at some point...

my person says she can't weigh in, 'cause she's never had two... but would like to someday. i'd definitely like a live-in girlfriend or two someday, like Rosco. it sounds like heav'n...
--Worm

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Worm....my ma says it would be a sister.....cause I am fixed and mom and dad would be both are mom and dad....I guess it's cause they love me SO much that they think I would love to have another Basset to actually play with (a sister would be nice, though I have never had one...):D and I have so many toys that it fills up a whole travel Kennel so we would have to get her her own toys too......(maybe pink..girls like pink right???)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I hear you on the baby part....I have honestly enjoyed all his stages...the adorable tiny baby, to the bigger (but still adorable) big boy at 8 months.....IF we do get a sister, I really wouldn't feel right not rescueing some deserving Basset and giving them the attention and stability of a forever home...I have the home and huge yard and plenty of love to give too....plus I know Woody would like an actual dog he can cuddle and play with (the inherited chihauha is just to old and usually grumpy to really appreciate how Woody is although I don't always blame him when I see Woody at 40+ lbs trying to set on the 10# guys head.

I would love to hear MikeyT's explanation of dog behavior on that one (HAHAH:p)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Best decision I ever made was getting a 2nd basset. I wish I'd done it when Lightning was younger than he was (he was about 18 mo.) because he really did not like being alone when I was at work, and Stomps was wonderful company to him.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
....just if it is a good decision for Woody?
It depends entirly on the dog while most basset are very social and like company there are some that are better as only dogs you no Woody better than anyone else you need to use that and your intuition to make such a decision

·
Registered
761 Posts
The best decision we ever made was getting Virga. It gave Doppler someone to rough and tumble with. And our lives are so much more fun since we got her. But it really does depend on the dog. We got to see Doppler interacting with our friend's puppy and saw how gentle he was. So that sealed it for us. Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much guys....I do know Woody and he loves other dogs...and if I didn't need the proof, let me tell you a little story about our day today...

I took Woody to the groomers at Petco to get the "Woody special" (nails, bath, deshedded, pampered:rolleyes:). When I returned to pick him up I was met with a "guess what Woody did?"...Uh-oh I thought...they laughed and said that they had placed him beside a girl St. Bernard and they were barking back and forth...all of a sudden it got quiet. They went to check and woody had knocked down the wall between the two kennels...he and his new Lady friend were curled up together laying in the combined Kennel, happy as peas in a pod.

Woody likes other dogs and is very gentle with them...he rolls on his back and shows his belly to most all of them...even the itty bitty ones.....My sister has a golden doodle and they play so cute for about 30-40 min. then curl up together and rest......

I think he would like a "sister" of his own...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to "talk" me thru my slight hesitations....let the adoption process begin...:)

Woody's mom Kristi

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Go for it!! Molly was the same way with other dogs, so we got her a brother. They do everything together, though lately his 5 month old puppy antics are grating on Mollys nerves due to her recent illness. Other than that, Winston has been so good for her.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yay for new additions!!! I was secretly hoping you'd decide on another one! It give us more stories to look forward to. Good luck with the adoption process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts