Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here goes i have been putting this off because i don't want anyone thinking badly of me. we ended up giving maddie back to the basset rescue, it was not a easy decision but with her up all night i wasn't getting anysleep and was exhausted (and her and atticus not getting along,) we decided she really needed a home with a doggy door and we are not able to put one in. she is being taken care of and we might be able to see her again at the basset fun days.

now for my question, that being said now that she is gone, I thought things around here would be getting back to noraml, but now Atticus is starting to treat Ryobi the same way he did with maddie, not quite as badly but he has snapped at him several times and wont even lay in the same bed area as ryobi. they still play toetgher once in a while but not like they use to. I feel for Ryobi, he is so sensative, and he can't understand what happened to his buddy, why is atticus doing this? they use to be such buddies, just doesnt make any sense. Its so sad.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry to hear about Maddie but we all do what we feel is best for the dog and the family. How old is Atticus? Did he display any of this type of behavior before Maddie came into the picture? Has he had a physical lately? I'd possibly have him vet checked to ensure something physical isn't going on with him and if not, then perhaps some strict behavior modification. Keep us posted, okay?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My opinion is that Atticus has decided that being mean to Maddie made her go away and now he's trying to make Ryobi go away, too, so he can be top and only dog. You have to make him understand that's not going to happen and he has to cut it out. Don't give Atticus anything you don't also give Ryobi, including attention, and be very firm in telling him "no" when he's being mean to Ryobi.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that was my thought about having to find maddie a new home and then Aticus wanting to be top and only dog. But he and Ryboi were soo close before getting maddie, I thought that they could never be seperated, now its so sad because ryobi, has no buddie anymore. but just sent an email to the behaviorist and hope to talk to her soon. Hopefully she will have some answers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Atticus is not plotting and scheming, he is not a person, he is a dog. He is topdog and as such it sounds to me as if he's probably just displaying typical top dog traits. If he is topdog then you-as much as it might annoy or upset you- must reinforce his position. Feed him first, pet him first, give him the most attention, don't get involved in snaps or snarls unless there is serious threat of violence and in a few days they will have sorted their pecking order out and will be best friends again. I've seen this loads of times in a pack and the worst thing a person can do is attribute human reasoning to a dog or dogs. Leave then settle their places and I'm fairly certain in a few days they will be back to their original group dynamic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts