Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bogie my beloved male unfixed basset is getting older, really I am sure he has happily lived past his normal life span, and I am thinking about breeding him to have him live on through his pup. He is healthy and goes on long walks without getting winded and seems highly interested in females. I gave away the two litters he did produce and have lost touch with the people that I gave the puppies to. The last litter was over six years ago. Anyway my question is; is bogie too old to father pups? He is between ten and thirteen years of age (I lost his pedigree papers and the breeders left the area after being chased away by police).

Anyway, sadly they were puppy mill people of the worst kind, and had me meet them at a dairy queen took my 300 dollars and quickly handed bogie and his paper work to me. (he was near crippled unknown to me until I got him home. The vet said it appeared to be caused by being raised in a too small cage for a long period of time and he seemed to have psychological problems from being abused, happily all fixed with a years of TLC.

So, as I said I would really, really like a pup from him, even though I feel guilty not doing a rescue. Lastly is there anyway to retrieve his AKC paperwork? I lost it years ago. I do know the last name of the breeders and their last known address. Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can render.

rs

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Lastly is there anyway to retrieve his AKC paperwork?
was he ever registered. not the litter but him personnal did you send the paperwork into the AKC? if yes it it possible if not even if you do know the breed diam sire etc after this period of time it would cost big dollars and a huge hassle with no guarantee they will accept your reasoning on why it took so long to register.

If you did register him and know the name he was registered under it is possible to get pedigree etc for him online at the AKC website.

He is between ten and thirteen years of age
As a male ages the quality of the sperm and mobility of the sperm decidedly decrease so with older males there is general more damaged sperm and less sperm in total this can greatly effect fertility abd the genetic health of the pup concieved as well but it does not necessarily preclude being fertile. there are method for having sperm analyze and even tereat concentrated removing the less mobile sperm but it is all very very expensive.

would really, really like a pup from him
we can all understand the emotion but given the nature of genetic even with him as the father it is very unlike the pup will be anything like him In the long run I thing humans do better when the dog following ther "heart" dog is different quite different at least in personality from the heart dog, it helps avoids the comparision too etc which is better both forth the new dog and the human.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think there is an age limit of twelve years as to the AKC accepting a litter sired by him,if you were lookimg at trying to reg.a puppy from him . Mikey is right though ,the puppies he could possibly produce may not be anything like your guy.In which case may be a dissapointment to you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
was he ever registered. not the litter but him personnal did you send the paperwork into the AKC? if yes it it possible if not even if you do know the breed diam sire etc after this period of time it would cost big dollars and a huge hassle with no guarantee they will accept your reasoning on why it took so long to register.If you did register him and know the name he was registered under it is possible to get pedigree etc for him online at the AKC website.
No I did not send in anything, I suppose I am careless like that! I drag my feet on sending any warrinties in and or redgestering anything, my computer, my new super duper bronco troy built riding mower which has broke every way possible....my beloved pet. To be honest I never thought I would want to show him or sell his puppies and had planned on having him fixed after the first litter.....
As a male ages the quality of the sperm and mobility of the sperm decidedly decrease so with older males there is general more damaged sperm and less sperm in total this can greatly effect fertility abd the genetic health of the pup concieved as well but it does not necessarily preclude being fertile. there are method for having sperm analyze and even tereat concentrated removing the less mobile sperm but it is all very very expensive.
I did not know that there is a chance that the health of the pup may be comprimised. Time for some reasearch!
we can all understand the emotion but given the nature of genetic even with him as the father it is very unlike the pup will be anything like him In the long run I thing humans do better when the dog following ther "heart" dog is different quite different at least in personality from the heart dog, it helps avoids the comparision too etc which is better both forth the new dog and the human.
Thank you so much for the input. However I would not care if the puppy was like Bogie I would know that he had Bogie in him. I am a very spiritual person and would be exceedingly happy knowing that I was reunited with a part of Bogie even if he was a Bassetcat (a mythical creature of my creation cloned from a basset hound and a cat) that had zero physiological or physical resemblance to Bogie. It's difficult to put into words but I am highly interested in science as well as deeply religious. So the puppy having a measure of Bogies DNA in him would mean part of Bogie would exist, ie live on in the puppy even if he looked and acted nothing like Bogie.
I know what you mean but I am sure I would not compare the new puppy to bogie, rather he would be a new entity of his own, a clean slate with genetic prompts that he could choose or reject. In fact I would dearly hope that he would NOT be like bogie psychologically as a puppy/young adult! Bogie was a psycho dog having suffered psychological trauma needing unrelenting TLC and professional help. Thank God I had a good job back when bogie was young! To close I am exceedingly grateful for the advice but I believe I will research the data on sperm effecting the health of the puppy and if the risk is minimal I am fairly sure there will be another pitter patter of paws in this home by late summer!

God bless all of you and your furry 'bud's' ~ rs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there is an age limit of twelve years as to the AKC accepting a litter sired by him,if you were lookimg at trying to reg.a puppy from him . Mikey is right though ,the puppies he could possibly produce may not be anything like your guy.In which case may be a dissapointment to you.
edit for spelling and grammar 4:32 pm

Yes I understand the concern, but a puppy with a bit of Bogies DNA in him would be only that. I understand the nature of genetics having raised certain plants to breed true etc. I would quickly love the puppy for being the puppy and not another copy of bogie. Lastly I should of indicated that the only reason I was concerned with the paperwork was to ensure an real basset female for the mom. I am like most people and suffer from the same affliction as they. That is appearance means much more than it should! Ha ha....really. Life ain't fair is it? A beautiful human or Dog or cat gets picked before an ugly old one in most cases eh?

Thanks bubbad !

rs

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm afraid I'm going to be quite negative here.
You said you felt guilty for not just getting a rescue, which indicates that you are already aware of the plight of unwanted/homeless bassets. However, did you know that the vast majority of the dog that fill the rescues and shelters come from breeders like YOU? That just have a litter or two so their dog can experience the "joys" of fatherhood/sex. That just have one litter so they can have a son or daughter of their dog. That breed dogs with poor genetic potential (your dog came from "a puppymill" and apparently had behavioral and health issues requiring a great deal of time and money to fix, how can you evaluate their genetic component?). That dispose of the puppies for free or cheaply, and don't follow up or keep track of them. This is not responsible breeding.

The price of having "your" puppy is a dubious future for the remainder of the litter.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
About the basset cat there is such a thing called a "Munchcan" a very short legged cat.I think they are adorable.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
About the basset cat there is such a thing called a "Munchcan" a very short legged cat.I think they are adorable.
I think the munchkins are supposed to be lazy too? Or is that the ragdolls?

BTW, Rev, I fully understand the emotion that makes you want to breed your dog. I get a lot of joy from having pups, grandpups, great grandpups etc from much loved dogs. But I've also had dogs I loved just as much that I did NOT breed, because as much as I loved them I did not feel that they were worthy breeding candidates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts