Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know there was such a thing!

I was browsing one of the basset rescues and came across Fred, a very handsome long haired basset.

It says he is pure bred. And he just looks so soft! I would love to give him a big ol' hug!

I can't post the pics here (there is a parenthesis in the URL so it won't post) but here is the link to Fred's page:

Fred is the 4th one down

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
They are pure bred, but sometimes a gene makes one longhaired. They are very cute!

Here's Fred:

Miriam from Soundtrack, the Canadian breeder, also have one:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, there are long haired bassets...Droopy, the name sake of Droopy Basset Rescue was long haired (from a litter of "normal" pups)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ohhhhh, great. TWO bales of hair to collect a day instead of one! Right now we're keeping our daughter's Lab, and between that and the Basset, we could spin wool and knit dog hair sweaters! The Lab sheds even more than the Basset. Lots of brushing, and it STILL keeps coming!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I saw a puppy long haired... so cute- my husband wouldn't let me have it though because it didn't look right to him -grrr....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by PiedmontBassetlover:
Ohhhhh, great. TWO bales of hair to collect a day instead of one! Right now we're keeping our daughter's Lab, and between that and the Basset, we could spin wool and knit dog hair sweaters! The Lab sheds even more than the Basset. Lots of brushing, and it STILL keeps coming!
You know, this is kinda scary, but people DO knit and crochet dog hair sweaters, etc.! I read a magazine article a year or two ago in Crochet! magazine that described the process of gathering, carding, washing and spinning dog hair into yarn and even had a pattern to crochet a hat or scarf of dog hair.

I love my dogs, but...no thanks! :D

A

·
0 Posts
atticus has longer hair, then my other bassets, not quite like these shown here but diefinatly longer then ryobi's and maddies.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
".! I read a magazine article a year or two ago in Crochet! magazine that described the process of gathering, carding, washing and spinning dog hair into yarn and even had a pattern to crochet a hat or scarf of dog hair."

KNITTING WITH DOG HAIR

Note the dog on the cover.

A

·
0 Posts
Who needs to knit a sweater? I'm practically wearing a dog-fur sweater every day!!!

A

·
0 Posts
I bet the knitted sweater with basset fur would be stinky. ;)

Maybe it would arrrroooo by itself too. (hey, that rhymes!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have a shltie along with our basset and I have had a number of people ask me for Dominics hair to spin and knit. The problem is by the time I get a bag full from brushing him I forget who wanted it. So the vacumed hair goes in the trash and the brushed hair I put in the trees for the birds. But every other day with the vacum or dust mop.

[ March 22, 2006, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: kiki ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts