Basset Hounds Forum banner

A little help with games, training, keeping new pup busy please?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Wworm 
How exciting-- congrats on the new boy!

I have a very hazy memory of my first month with mine-- felt sleep-deprived and tired from the CONSTANT SUPERVISION. but in retrospect, i think the constant supervision was important and helpful for us. He was crate-trained within a month, and housebroken within 1 1/2-2 months. He would START chewing things, but because we watched him like a hawk (well, watched him like we would for a toddler), he never destroyed anything of importance. Mainly would get at my slippers and try to chew cardboard boxes; did not chew anything else (he was 4 months old). We were able to teach him quickly what was ok and what was not ok because we gave him pretty immediate feedback.

He actually never plays with his chews or toys in his crate, even though we always have them in there; he only rests or sleeps in the crate. When we get home and let him out, though, he is funny and will drag his toys out to chew/play with them! So, mine does chew and play with his toys a lot, but not because he chews them in his crate. More because anytime he chewed the wrong thing, we would be right there to tell him 'no' and give him a toy instead, which he would take us up on most of the time.

When we weren't able to fully supervise, or when we needed a break, we would put him in the crate. Sometimes, I would give him a super yummy bone (like a beef rib bone) that he could not resist, and put it in the crate for him to eat there, with the door closed. He would be very quiet and occupied completely with the bone for a half hour, while we did housework around him.

Don't know if any of this helps, but thought I'd share...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.