Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well friends this place remembered my login and password and welcomed me back so I guess it's like they say you can always come home to family. I was here briefly in the January 2001 time frame, contributed some but mostly I got what I wanted and then didn't come back. In the meantime my wife and I had been pretty active with the BROOD rescue organization in Virginia but I didn't have much time for this forum. The circumstances are somewhat similar to when I was last here. My number one dog has passed on, although tragically and not from natural causes, and I'm in need of something.

Immediately I am trying to find the name and contact information of the breeder from whom I got the pup. It's been almost six years now. I believe he was from south central Pennsylvania, he was probably in his late fifties or sixties, and he was active in a group called something like the American Rabbit Hunting Basset Hound Association. I want to give this man back the $100 or something he refunded me from the price of Harold when the pup tested out positive for Lyme disease. That was fair of him but the dog never was sick and I'm guessing somehow he had exposure to the bacteria but never really contracted it. More to the point, Harold was the best dog I ever had and was worth every penny I paid for him and more. It gets better. The man was very candid that Harold's litter was a product of accidental in-breeding or line breeding. That did not bother me because my first basset had got his start that way and there was nothing wrong with him. I noticed however very shortly after getting Harold, when he was gaining his adult teeth, that this dog bled like crazy. Tests were not conclusive but suggested von Willebrand's, and though I wouldn't have dreamed of returning Harold I did have some bad feelings about it and expressed them strongly to the breeder although as "cordially" as my feelings then would allow. I'm sure anyway that he was glad to be done with me. We never had any serious problem with bleeding although I decided not to have Harold neutered for this reason. All of that is ancient and hazy history now for me and I'm sure this man did not lose sleep over it. Nor should he have.

Aside from turning out to have marquee-type looks, Harold had a perfect temperment for me. A combination of spirit, grit and gentleness that I was looking for in a dog. He was perhaps slightly too wary of strangers, and he was a good watchdog if he happened to be awake, just a little protective but not mean, especially once he determined that the subject human was OK. He was an alpha dog but not an aggressive one; rather he ended up controlling his companion dogs and the whole house really but without a lot of demonstrating and trouble-making. He was well-mannered, not a dumpster-diver, counter-surfer, and he never came to the table when we ate. I did almost nothing to train this dog; he was a natural. He would stay where you put him and never wandered by himself. He was a good hunter but he never really caught on to rabbits but ran deer and bear with his coonhound pal Henry. Personally I do not hunt but love to watch the dogs work. This was his undoing however. He and Henry would not stray singularly but if left unattended together they would spontaneously hunt. I know they did not try to get out of the yard last weekend but when they found a gate wide open (I postively closed it and tried to force it when I left) they were gone. We spent hours looking without success. Henry checked in to somebody's house outside of town after dark and we got him. Harold unfortunately did not keep Henry's scent, or if he did he did not check in to that or anybody's house due to his nature, and proceeded about a mile and half on down the highway on a moonless night until he was hit in the head and killed, instantly I believe from the looks of him (mercifully not gruesome) and what else I could tell from the scene. I just hope to God not by a drunk driver. So that's the sad part, which is understating it I'm sure you know.

I'm in Colorado now and I've contacted the local Basset rescue and in the near term, once I get my feelings back in order, am going to foster or adopt a dog. Maybe in a little bit I wouldn't mind having another hound out of the same general stock as Harold, but for now all I want to do is give this man back his $100. Anybody know who I'm talking about? I'll post Harold's picture as soon as I can remember how.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am so sorry you have had to go through this....my prayers are with you and so are my Moosie's....I am hoping he did not suffer...from what you described he may not have....I do hope you get some leads on the breeder...such a fine thing to do....I wish more folks were like you! I had a few concerns about Moose after he arrived...and emailed the breeder...he never responded...I was so upset because we thought we had found someone very concerned and caring....Once again...we have you in our prayers...please don't be a stranger...

·
Registered
3 Posts
So sorry for your loss, Harold sounds like a great dog. I'm in Colorado (Denver) as well, and new to this forum. I own a 6 month old basset named Stanley that came to us from a breeder a little ways north of Boulder. I could give you their info because they've been great, unless you're set on adopting or fostering. I'm assuming the rescue agency you are referring to out here is the High Country Rescue? I've heard good things about them and have even met some of their rescues at the local dog park with Stanley. Let me know if you are interested in any information, we couldn't be happier with our pup.

-Ben

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I know that Dean is involved with AHBA events and lives in central Pa- maybe he could help you.

To contact him, go down to the next set of threads: Basset Hound Performance Events. Open one of the threads and look for a post by Dean. Click on his name, and a menu will come down. One of the options is "send private message".

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Immediately I am trying to find the name and contact information of the breeder from whom I got the pup. It's been almost six years now. I believe he was from south central Pennsylvania, he was probably in his late fifties or sixties, and he was active in a group called something like the American Rabbit Hunting Basset Hound Association. I want to give this man back the $100 or something he refunded me from the price of Harold when the pup tested out positive for Lyme disease.

..., but for now all I want to do is give this man back his $100. Anybody know who I'm talking about? I'll post Harold's picture as soon as I can remember how.[/b]

Sounds like Dean is a posibility and if not he would be the most likely to know who had a litter around that time frame.

click here to acess his profile from which you can send a personal message.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm sorry about your loss. I can't help you with the breeders' name, just wanted to say that I got my boy Stomps from BROOD (he was in Maryland) about 7 1/2 years ago. It's a great organization. Good luck in your search, both for the breeder and for a new basset, when the time is right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dean it was. Thanks for the info and the kind words. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Pictures and memories are all that's left. Life is evanescent. When you've got something good, make sure to cherish it.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome back :), and I'm sorry for your loss. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts