Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I was a member here a year or so ago and as much as I loved the board,I used to laugh out loud when I read people saying that their bassets were smart,and sometimes I would voice my opinion on here as to why I thought in general they were thick!!!! Well I now hang my head in shame and openely admit on a public forum that I am the one who was thick. :(

I had a relative from overseas here who has always had dogs(collies) and it was her first time meeting Toby, so of course I told her not to expect him to be anything like her dogs as basically half his brain was probably missing. Within three days she told me that if I thought that,then it was probably me who was missing half a brain. :blink: :huh:

She pointed out that he always had the best seat in the house,that when he wanted dinner early,he whinned at me and would pull cushions and covers off chairs, grab things off the table and throw them on the floor and knock over anything in his way until I fed him before he demolished the house.When we were eating at the table he lay quietly in a position watching,and the minute I rose to get something he was up at the table in a flash and swiping food from my plate. That out in the park whichever way he went we all followed and and whenever he had enough walking, he would lie down and refuse to move until we started back for home.That he would do absolutely NOTHING unless a treat was given, that he was a master of manipulation,that her dogs would never behave like that, and basically he was ripping the P... right out of me.!!!!!!!!

Well I was shocked :eek: but after observing him for a day or so I realised she was right and I have finally seen Toby for what he really is "a crafty little bugger"

Again I apologise for being so stupid as to think bassets are stupid, and I guess if I ever want a really dumb dog then I'll buy a collie :p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A master at manipulation certianly describes my girl Lily. She always gets her way and my hubby wilst not admit his defeat against her. :lol:

~Heather

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, please! My Charlie is brilliant. He rings his bell to go out, and when DH gets out of his recliner to open the door --- Charlie hops in the chair! On my days off, he gets me up promptly at 7:30 because apparently he can tell time. He was shoving the board across the stairs aside so all three dogs could get to the second floor and the cats' food. I now have the board bungied, but I expect he'll figure that out soon.

Yep, bassets may have a sleepy, rather dopey, expression -- but that's how they fool ya!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Oh, please! My Charlie is brilliant. He rings his bell to go out, and when DH gets out of his recliner to open the door --- Charlie hops in the chair! On my days off, he gets me up promptly at 7:30 because apparently he can tell time. He was shoving the board across the stairs aside so all three dogs could get to the second floor and the cats' food. I now have the board bungied, but I expect he'll figure that out soon.

Yep, bassets may have a sleepy, rather dopey, expression -- but that's how they fool ya![/b]
Moe used to do the same thing as Charlie. The first time it happened, many years ago, we were watching TV, I on the couch and my husband in his lazyboy. Moe scratched the door to go out so I got up and opened the door... but he didn't go out. Then it happened again, and again. <_< He scratched yet again so my husband, more than a little ticked off, got up to open the door, intending to shoo him out. Moe quickly ran to the lazyboy, jumped up on the Lazyboy, and was settled in seconds, while my husband stood with the doorknob of the still open door in hand. :blink: The surprised look on his face was priceless... I laughed my *** off, it was so funny. :lol: My husband closed the door and sat with me on the couch. :)

So Sadeyes2... you've finally realized that YOU'VE been trained by your Basset, as have many of us. B)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts