Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Brownstone's Moonracer Von Skauton" May 10,2011-Oct.4,2011 I have been at the Nationals all week.On Tuesday the Townes got to the show before I did so I just went in and sat around watching eveything. Dawn and I had talked she had run "Knox" out to the van and when the show broke for lunch we went with Knox's co-owners to lunch.Afterward Dawn said we needed to go let the dogs out to pee so we headed out to the van.I had promised her to help with the puppy all week till she was sent off with another lady to get her to the judge in Kansas. Dawn got to the van before me and opened the gate I saw the two adult dogs in distress from the heat although it had been really cold that morning and it didn't seem especially hot now.I knew there was a problem I said,Oh my God ,the puppy!" I can never get the side door on her van open but I got it open then Racer's cage was elevated behind the drivers seat as I threw everything I was carring into the van I unlatched her cage.She looked as if she were sleeping ,I grabbed her rear legs and pulled her limp body into my arms and ran.I ran up 5 huge cement steps that other wise I have trouble getting up. A girl coming towards me had a bottle of water she said where do you want it I said on her head.I ran to the womans bathroom and put as much of Racer's body as I could in the sink and started running cold water over her. Racer was gone when I pulled her out but someone did try mouth to mouth and a Vet tried chest compressions it was all too late. I was given a good amount of time alone with her before we needed to go to another Vet's office.She will be creamated and return home to me. Before anyone says anything I want you to know I have forgiven the Townes ,it was an accident,horrific,and terrible,avoidable,yes,but just the same Dawn was in total shock during the whole thing, many people helped us so the two other dogs were good .One was in the hospital for the week but is doing better and went home. The Townes special, Aiden was not affected as much as the other dog. There was a hearing before we left on Friday, and one person tesified seeing the van gate up all morning ,if that is the case,IF someone closed that gate to do harm or other wise,shame on them and we all know what goes around comes around. The one thing that comforts me is believing the puppy was sleeping when she died.There were no signs of distress in her cage or by the way she looked ,she looked very peaceful and serene.It was a Nationals no one will soon forget.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
That was YOUR puppy? OMG!!!!

I was one of the ones bringing ice for her, I also helped to carry Knox into the hotel and brought ice for him and Aiden.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Every time I think of seeing you and her in the bathroom I start crying again.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Oh how terrible. So very sorry.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh no, Bubbad, we are so sorry, and in total shock-- had to read your post twice. What a loss for everyone, esp for you and Dawn-- our hearts are with you. We remember seeing all the beautiful pictures of Racer.

It is good that you have forgiven Dawn-- we are all human and there are many things we would have done differently in our lives "if we only knew," so I think we can all relate to that. We try our best to do our best, and sometimes it's not enough, and sometimes we make mistakes, occasionally really bad ones that we wish we could undo. I truly do believe this world would be a better place if we understand this for ourselves and applied it to others, as you have done.

i'm far from a perfect "ma" too-- just last week, Worm wriggled out of his collar (we almost always use a harness that he can't get out of) at Petsmart, ran towards the doors which then opened because of the motion detector & he ran clear across a parking lot w/cars that saw him and thankfully stopped for him. i left my purse, wallet, keys, everything on the shopping cart & ran after him... totally could have been bad news :( and when I first got Worm, did push the envelope on how long he could be in a hot car for... felt really bad when i'd come back & it was too long... so yeah. it can be such a delicate balance.

sorry for losing Racer. what a special gal, she will be missed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
A very sad and tragic thing. Bubbad, we all know what these pups mean to you and we are very sorry to hear this happened. I agree with Worm, your act of forgiveness is admirable and a testament to your character.

We can all learn from this. We all do what's best for our babies, but accidents happen. Peace and love be with you.

Molly, Winston, and Michelle

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mrs Bubbad -- I have tried to answer your post before this and just cannot find the proper words to say to you -- all I can come up with is I am so so sorry that you have had to go through this. I hope you understand that through all of your posts here and all of our posts also we have become like in the old days 'pen-pals'. Mrs B I want you to know that you have become a friend and adviser to all of us and please know that our thoughts are with you at this time. I know it sounds stupid and maybe corny but I am sending you a hug and only wish that it could be given in person. My thoughts are with you Sandy

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wrote her name wrong it is Brownstone's Moonracer of Switchstand and her birth date is 5/10/11 .

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some people came to me later in the week saying things like they would never do this or you and I would never do this to our dogs because we are so on top of everything with them.Don't be so sure ,as much as we would like to think it can't happen to us sometimes circumstances dictate otherwise. If Doug Taylor could have been there the puppy would have been with him,his wife is very sick ,he needed to be home.I promised to help with the puppy all week and I feel like I somehow let that slip ,so many I wish,I should haves can drive you nuts. Some people came up to me a day later saying Well you are taking it well,not really but I can't go around crying all the time for a thing that can't be changed.I choose to forgive them because I don't want the added burden of becoming mean,angry,bitter,and whatever else unforgivness causes,they are kind honest people they deserve nothing less. Thank you Soundtrack I wish you would have come up later in the week so I could meet you.I was a bit of a mess at the time until by evening I was just numb. Thanks everyone on this forum you all watched them grow and I felt you should know because she was here.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Accidents happen. If as you said the gate was open all morning then it's quite possible that the last person at the car shut it automatically without thinking - as I almost did after cleaning the crate for a puppy in a car. I caught myself at the last minute, but it's something we do so automatically without thinking. At any rate, as I said at the time we all do stupid things sometimes, but usually we're lucky and get away with it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh Bubbad, so so sorry to hear this. Many here felt as if they actually knew your pups. I felt so sad reading this, can only imagine your feelings. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers Bubbad.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
one person tesified seeing the van gate up all morning
FWIW this does not happen just at conformation showa agility and other larger venue atract Peat crank etc that release dogs as well I pass along the following that may be useful going forward a way to secure the van with the rear gate open

Ventlock Tailgate Locks

Wireless Digital Thermometer

it can help prevent accidental closings as well

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you MikeyT I do not know if the gate was up at all it was not when we went to walk the dogs but there is no reason for this person to lie.Assume the wind was enought to shut the gate ,some places it could be,then what.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Assume the wind was enought to shut the gate ,some places it could be,then what.
the vent lock is a solid steel rod the car would have to be displaced by a tornado before it could be closed by the wind.

for people that work out of a van while trialing I thing it is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'll have to look into that, Mikey. I sure could have used it at the agility trial as I didn't bring extra crates and at that point was rather paranoid about leaving them in the vehicle so I had people holding them for me while I was scribing, running or walking the course. I've seen barricades that cover the entire back hatch area.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Fwiw st thre first trial with a class c motor home it was cool but I left a couple window open and the in the roof powered vent running. Some one tell me fischer is out runing loose impossible. This is a dog that even tough he ius s3 inch tall you could cotain in a 1 foot tall fence because he will not walv over It long Story shor he Jumped through a screen window in the bedroom more than seven feet from the ground on the outside. Obvious any time he was not supervise in the motor home he had to be crated. You can do alll the planing and care you want but accident happen most of the time everything turns out ok

Hell a few monh year back i remember a police offerce lost his police dog to overheating in the car

every thing we do in life involves risk nothing is perfectly safe some fail to realize this you can keep a dog in a self conained biospere so noting bad ever happens to it but wait then it lack the proper socialization we all make mistakes with our dog the best you can do is pray to god that nothing bad happens when you do but accidents are a part of life;
most of the timne they still occur when every precaution to avoid them is taken.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts