Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

It looks like all the "eye problems" I've seen in this past health forum are strictly with glaucoma and/or cataracts, but I've got a stumper.

Maz within the past month had his vet check up, and everything was all clear (special attention was given to the eyes, he is developing cataracts).

Within the past 5 or so days, his left eye is beginning to roll up in his head (I notice some dogs close their eyes when they sleep, other dogs don't and just roll their eyes up. Maz is the latter). No swelling, until today, there is minimal swelling in the orbit and the eye is completely rolled up (until now, it was halfway down).

He also didn't eat dinner tonight (very unnusual for a basset!), and has been in a general stupor/very lethargic.

I called the vet earlier today to see if he might need an emergency visit, and he ruled out glaucoma, thinking it might be a scratched cornea (but not the case, as his eye seems to itch as opposed to being painful) or just allergies. We gave him benedryl upon recommendation.

I'll be taking him to the vet ASAP, but was wonderng if anybody else had any feedback so I can have some peace of mind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sigh... no feed back but hope your baby is doing better :) Sometimes in children (I'm a nurse practitioner) they can get a conjunctivitis (pink eye) and even though it can start benign- can end up as a cellulitis from a secondary infection. We usually have to treat pretty aggressively with antibiotics. Good luck-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback and concern. I was thinking both pink eye and possibily a TIA (along iwth just about anything else that could go wrong) for a while too.

Went to the vet yesterday. He said it could be a number of issues, but couldn't yet tell. When the vet tried opening his mouth to look in there, he gave a real painful yelp so the mouth examination had to stop.

It could be 1)A large mass behind his eye (though unlikely, because of the rapid progression)

2)His jaw bone actually exerting pressure on his eye socket from behind (could also explain the yelping when the mouth is open) http://www.mame.mu.oz.au/eng_design/galler...s/dog_skull.jpg that's a diagram of a canine skull, notice how the jaw bone juts up behind the eye orbit.

3) An infection in his mouth, near the back row of teeth/gum that have progressed up into the tissue around his eye. This seems the most likely as time goes on, he had a fever at the vet yesterday (which also supports the infection idea).

The vet gave him some painkillers and antibotics. He is definitely a different dog today. His eye isn't swollen shut, but its still rolled back. He is extremely hungry, now that I know to give him soft foods (he's had more to eat today than I have. A scrambled egg for lunch, extra lean beef mixed in with oatmeal for dinner). I also gave him a little yogurt, figuring that might help whatever is going on in his mouth.

He is due in Thursday, and will be sedated so his mouth can be examined. Also will have a skull x-ray to rule out the jaw problem.

I'll keep you all posted on his condition. The warning signs had been there all week and I hadn't put them together, so maybe if it happens to any of your dogs you'll know to get to the vet immediately.

Watch for
1) Extremley bad breath
2) Any rolling back of the eyes (I didn't take alarm of this at first, figuring it was allergies)
3) Sensitvity when opening mouth. Once or twice he yelped when yawning, I didn't think anything of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts