Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's basset sleep the way that is shown in the picture attached? I'm just wondering if my little girl was just odd, or was this kind of a common occurance?

ALSO!

Teething has been horrible for my Daisy Mae! Is there any suggestions that could make this time a little easier for her?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew! I was really worried. I am a first time basset owner, so I was REALLY concerned that she has been sleeping with her hips all splayed out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There are times when my dog is asleep that I have to check to make sure he is still breathing. Rosco likes to curl his neck in the weirdest positions and it looks like he might have actually broken it sometimes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nitro sleeps on his back ALL the time. When he was smaller we could see air bubbles passing through his intestines It looked like he had an alien in his belly!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Anabelle sleeps like this too. I imagine bassets sleep like this more than other dogs because their short legs have less of a tendency for gravity to pull them down.

Dogs cool off by cooling their bellies so they might do it to get cool if their bed is warm.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ditto! When my parents first saw bowser they got all worried that something was wrong with him because of how flopsy and weird he slept! (they used to breed beagles when i was a kid) so they were like "what is WRONG with him??" lol
I have the funniest pictures of him.
And yeah bassets tend to run "hotter" than other breeds, so they're cooling off their belly, and probably trying to get comfortable because of those big chests.
Tooo cute!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
Teething has been horrible for my Daisy Mae! Is there any suggestions that could make this time a little easier for her?
Determine what her perfered chewing substrate/texture is and find plenty of similar toys. Some dogs prefer wood, other want something plusher and sofer while still other like really hard chews. While it could possibly lead to a few problems latter on on differentiating acceptal toys for unacceptable ones wetting a rag/cloth and twisting and freezing works for a lot of dogs. The cold acts as an anesthetic numbing and the cloth is a chew to help the teeth emerge.

·
Registered
972 Posts
oh by the way, for the teething...some people say you can freeze a toy and let them chew on it for their teeth. We tried an old sock dipped in some chicken broth, frozen, and then bowser liked to chew it. He actually liked actual chunks of ice more than anything. He rolled them around and spit them out over and over until they melted. Didnt' even chew them! lol

Hope that helps! Other than that, nothing much else I know of. Just kind of have to wait it out!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My Vinny never sleeps on his back but Esa will roll on her back in my arms to sleep. Bubba would sleep in any position that allowed him to catch 40 winks. In my gallery he is sleeping with his head over the edge of the sofa with his ears almost touching the floor,snoring ,I might add. Then on his back splayed out on the sofa(also snoring).Funny dogs!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Both my Basset mix and my purebred sleep like this! My husband and I find it quite funny.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Here's how ours like to sleep

Here's how our dogs like to sleep, this is pretty much what I see every morning when I come into the bedroom after my shower. . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts