Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that Murray and I are involved with a pet thearapy organization in our community. Below is a link to an article about how one of Michael Vick's dogs became a therapy dog:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25214356/

"Leo — rescued from heavy chains that confined him as one of the pit bulls in former NFL quarterback Michael Vick’s dogfighting ring — is a lover, not a fighter. He now happily frolics in a clown collar as he makes the rounds at the Camino Infusion Center, where he brings comfort to cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

Six months ago, Leo should have been dead.

When officers raided Vick’s Bad Newz Kennels in Smithfield, Va., last year, they found dogs, some injured and scarred, chained to buried car axles. Forensic experts discovered remains of dogs that had been shot with a .22-caliber pistol, electrocuted, drowned, hanged or slammed to the ground for lacking a desire to fight.

Animal advocates are divided over whether fighting dogs can be trusted to have new lives as pets or working dogs. One of the dogs seized at Bad Newz was put down as too aggressive, but the others were dispersed to sanctuaries and training facilities across the country.

One of them was Leo, who ended up in the care of Marthina McClay, a certified trainer and counselor in Los Gatos, near San Francisco. McClay is president of Our Pack, an advocacy group for pit bulls.

“He was a little like a caveman at a tea party,” McClay said. “He didn’t have a lot of training.”

But after five weeks of intense instruction and supervision, and more weeks of acclimation, Leo is now — with all due respect —a ***** cat. He loves putting his head on a patient’s lap and batting his big brown eyes.

“The difference that he’s had with our patients has been incredible — the smiles on their faces, the joy when they see him,” said Reed of the cancer center.

“Leo is a survivor and our patients are survivors, and I think they can relate to each other,” she said."

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That's awesome that this dog was given another chance at life. I know that can't be the case for all dogs. I'm glad to hear of a dog that is getting another chance, and it sounds like he's doing well.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) What a neat story and a wonderful life for a deserving pit bull. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Awwww, that is a great story! Good for Leo! I wish that all abused dogs had this opportunity. Neighbors that we used to have at our old neghborhood had two rescued pit/lab mixed females and they are so sweet! We used to walk down and they played with Elmer and Button in their yard. They were energetic, but got along well with the bassets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts