Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After speaking to this breeder for approximately a week, letting them know I definitely wanted a puppy, offering to send a deposit only to be told it wasn't necessary and calling this morning to leave a message asking them to let me know when was good for them as far as my coming to pick the pup up....

I get a message back: "Oh, sorry...all the puppies have been sold."

This is AFTER this breeder assured me he would hold the female pup I told him I definitely wanted and after telling me that not many people were coming to look at the pups and I didn't need to worry about her being gone by the time I got home (I was out of town and let them know exactly when I'd be back and was back right on time).

So, yes, right now I am rather ticked. If they had asked for a deposit I would have happily sent one. I also believe in sticking to your word so when people don't it gets right up my nose.

So, now, I have to start my search all over and at this point I'm ready to just buy what is available at hand as this is not the first breeder I've had do this to me. If I can't pick it up RIGHT NOW then it is no deal.

I'm going to bed. Maybe the world will look better tomorrow...

Marie

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have two Female puppys that will need homes at the end of the month. We will be charging $200 for them to recover some vet cost. The mom is registered the male is not. We live just south of Waco TX. Let us know if you are intrested. I have pictures posted under Allen Family Bassets. I am not a dog breeder and this is the only set that will ever come from my family. We do ask that you do not breed them when they get older it is just to hard on them.

Thank You
Jessica Allen:D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had that happen to me as well before I got Yogi and I was so disappointed, not to mention really pissed off. But you know what, I am glad it did happen because it just wasn't meant to be. If I had gotten that pup, I wouldn't have my super wonderful darling, Yogi.
We also had that happen with a shepherd breeder. We actually GAVE them a deposit for a puppy and a day or two before we were due to pick up the pup, the breeder called and said that the other owner of the mom or dad decided she wanted our puppy and she couldn't do anything about it. We were very upset as you can imagine. We did get our deposit back and did not take up her offer to get one from a future litter.
Seriously, I think these type of breeders are not people you want to deal with at all. Please be careful where you get your dog (read-puppymill, byb etc) because remember this animal is going to hopefully be in your life for many years to come.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i'm sorry to hear that :( i hope you get your puppy soon. i'm sure you'll find the perfect match for you soon, maybe it was a sign. good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had that happen to me as well before I got Yogi and I was so disappointed, not to mention really pissed off. But you know what, I am glad it did happen because it just wasn't meant to be. If I had gotten that pup, I wouldn't have my super wonderful darling, Yogi.

Seriously, I think these type of breeders are not people you want to deal with at all. Please be careful where you get your dog (read-puppymill, byb etc) because remember this animal is going to hopefully be in your life for many years to come.
Agreed.. In fact, I have just experienced this as well.
and, the incident lead me to believe that they might not be as "reputable" as they try to claim.

At first I am quite attached to the puppy already and felt very disappointed.. Then, this lead me to search for another breeder.. and by golly, am I glad that I found her. She is truly a genuine basset lover and you can tell all her dogs (and she has a lot) are happy, calm, and healthy.

I finally got my puppy who is going to come this April 6. He is in much better condition and much more stable and confident.
And, I could not be any happier.

So, I think this might be a positive thing for you. There is one perfect puppy for you out there and I do not think the breeder you had experienced with can provide you with one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success!!

One of my leads that turned into (I thought) a worm trail opened up and worked out this weekend!
I was able to meet up with him on Saturday and came home with not just one...but TWO pups! :D

Both sire and dam fully health tested, pups had been started on vaccinations (two sets thus far) and deworming (twice thus far) and are in excellent condition - bright eyed, playful, well fed, clean. Pups were sent home with a starter bag of what the breeder has been feeding them as well as a full packet of information on sire, dam, the breed, breed specific care and health issues, health record, breeder's name/address/telephone, etc.
This gentleman has been breeding for over 20 years but quit showing several years ago due to age and health...but the health testing and breeder responsibility and availability were more important to me than conformation titles in the pedigree anyway. Regardless, these two are very nice looking pups!

SO.....
We welcome to our happy home:

Cruzin' To Fame - a.k.a. "Diva"
AND
Bugtussle's Hannah Of Hobbit Hill - a.k.a. "Hannah" (my avatar)

Marie

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Aww your pups are gorgeous and like we have found with our two sisters, two Bassets bring twice the fun
and I hope they will be very happy in their new home!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts