Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just diagnosed. Her main symptoms are swollen lymph glands and a lack of appetite. Today she won’t even take a treat. We have a vet visit tomorrow where we’ll talk about treatment. In the meantime I’d like to find something she’ll eat.

We tried chicken and rice. Today she won’t even take a treat. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
When we had one with confirmed lymphoma (did your vet do a fine needle aspirate to confirm - lymph glands can come up when the body is fighting infection) he was in his 13th year and had I not felt an enlarged neck gland and had lymphoma confirmed I'd never have realised he was sick. Between us all, we opted not to go for any treatment but to let him have as long as he could have, at his age. As time went on, I went into denial, so 'good' he was. Nothing had changed until the final day (6 months since the diagnosis) when his system just crashed. Despite eating up in the morning, he didn't come in with the others for his second meal and I found him collapsed in the back garden. We took him to our vet who gave him a shot (not sure about what) in the hope he'd rally but sadly he didn't so we gave him peace the next morning.

I'd wait to see what treatment your vet suggests - don't force her to eat at this point. So sad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Penny is in the hospital for a night or two receiving fluids and meds to help her eat. Also prednisolone to help shrink her lymph nodes. Good thoughts and healing drool are welcome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it helps, my husband opted for chemo for his beloved basset/dachs, who was around that age. It was expensive, but he felt it was worth it, and he had another 1.5 years with him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts