Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My husband and I just adopted a 9 week old little boy. He is very shy and timid. He has a cage and goes in there a lot by him self and we have a hard time getting him to come out. Is this normal at this age?

·
Registered
12,869 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A lot with this would depend on where he came from. Some Basset males can be 'sensitive' but being actively shy and not wanting to explore would bother me. However, if you've only had him for a short while, he's probably working out what's happened to him - coming to a new home is possibly the one most traumatic thing that is going to happen to him. The problem with any dog who really has a weak temperament is the risk of it going to fear biting. And that's serious because any dog who starts that, is unpredictable which is a biggie.

Take it carefully with this lad - don't overload him with situations he clearly has trouble coping with but try not to 'baby' him or he'll think there is something to be worried about. Bassets have the reputation of being 'stubborn' but for me, if you get stubborn, you have to switch your approach, building in a situation where what you want, appears to him as what he wanted all along. Applied psychology. This is a unique breed and for the most part, dealing with problems as with just any dog, probably won't work.

Once he settles into his new home and starts to trust you, he'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
My husband and I just adopted a 9 week old little boy. He is very shy and timid. He has a cage and goes in there a lot by him self and we have a hard time getting him to come out. Is this normal at this age?
Our puppy was the same way and he pretty much stayed that way. Great resources by the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts