Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post and I would like to say greetings to all! I am concerned about my dog McGrupp. Last Sunday he started limping on his front right paw, and his shoulder seemed to be in pain. At this same time he started to be fussy with eating and drinking, but my family has gotten him to do both everyday. Last night his pain seemed to migrate to his back legs, and he has been very lethargic he only gets up occasionally. After this, I knew he really needed to go see the Vet to see what was really going on. At first, I thought he had maybe just tweeked his leg a lil bit from running and playing in the yard.

The vet ran tests for Lymes, Heartworm, E. Canis, Anaplasm. The tests were all negative. The Vet bent his joints and neck and u could see the dog was in obvious pain. He then gave him a shot of cortisone and prescribed an anti-inflammatory to be taken daily. He also said bassetts between the ages of 8-12 months can develop these type problems. My problem is, he is very lethargic and barely can do anything, I feel really sorry for my pup. Has anyone had similar problems? Also his temperature is fine, and he doesnt have the symptoms of a sick dog just the pain. He also has up to date vaccinations, eats flintriver, takes ark naturals products and was healthy as an ox before this. Anyone with experience please share any info, a dog this young shouldnt have to suffer like this.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I wonder if your puppy has pano? Did the vet mention anything about that?

Panosteitis

When Yogi had it, he didn't want to do much at all. He even missed a few meals. Hope your puppy is better soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Panosteitis would be my first thought as well.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We can only guess but get another opinion if you think there is more to it.
All bassets do not go through these types of painfull problems.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
One cannot rule out a cervical problem as well
Absolutely. That was the first thing I thought of with everything I've been through with Flash's spinal surgery. Did they do an ultrasound or a MRI? How are his reflexes? If you bend his feet back do they go right back straight? Or do they stay the way you move them?

If you have a collar on him I would change over to a harness and not have anything putting pressure on his neck.

Please keep us posted - prayers are being sent your way.

Jennifer

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh no! Hope McGrupp feels better soon. I haven't had to deal with anything like this so I have nothing to tell you. We'll keep you guys in our thoughts and Doppler and Virga are slinging plenty of healing drool your way.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Pano would probably be the most likely in which case you need to keep his activity level way down you said he is lethargic and so he probably isn't too active right now anyway.The best thing to do is keep him crated so he isn't up on the extremities much at all. Pano will usually go away on its own but it is hard to say how long the symptoms may persist.I had basset puppy that developed it at 5 months of age and had it for 5 more months,she was 10 months old before I could look for a home for her.I would not have sold her while limping. Pain relievers may keep him comfortable till it subsides.If in doubt of what his legs are doing have x-rays done to be sure he did not injure himself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi.. I'm new to this site and glad I found it !! .. I have two bassets one 2 year old female called Dottie and one nearly six year old male called Louie..

I would agree with Pano.. Dottie had it, lots of tests, xrays and vet fees later the only thing that cleared it up was liquid vitamin B !! yes put on her food once a day worked wonders (tried all kinds of pills etc) this worked - hope this helps, thanks Mandy (UK)
o]'#o

·
Registered
6 Posts
Basset hounds are one of the breeds which are commonly predisposed to Panosteitis. The treatment regimen involves weight management and natural supplements that will address the inflammation such as Flexerna (I don't recommend long term use of NSAIDs because of their side effects), and also a good natural joint supplement like GlycanAid HA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts